Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a topic I have seen before.
Are there any advantages or disadvantages of Pin Drive width vs. Standard width suspension for handling, steering, or alignment???
Does it impact the spring rate required for the same ride and handling?

TIA - Getting closer to placing an order now that the remodel is making progress.

Chris

·
Premium Member
10,474 Posts
I went with the Pin Drive width just so I could use deep dish wheels.

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
For the front end, the motion ratio is slightly different, but not enough to effect the spring rate enough to feel.
Standard width has better camber gain than pin drive width, and this could mean better handling for standard width.
The scrub radius is better with standard width, and standard width has less kick back at the wheel. This is due to the deeper offset wheels with pin drive.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
6,103 Posts
I think part of depends on if you are using true pin drive wheels or deep dish wheels. I am no expert on suspensions, but with pin drives, the mounting surface of the wheel is basically the same as std width. Using deep dish wheels brings that in by like 1.5" (the width of the pindrive adapter).

So to the experts out there - does that make a difference?

·
Registered
7,808 Posts
I think part of depends on if you are using true pin drive wheels or deep dish wheels. I am no expert on suspensions, but with pin drives, the mounting surface of the wheel is basically the same as std width. Using deep dish wheels brings that in by like 1.5" (the width of the pindrive adapter).

Dont know where you get your info, but mine measure .4" extra width.

·
Not a waxer
12,067 Posts

No, as long as the track width and ball joint locations do not change.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys!
I like the look of the deep dish, and just wanted to insure it didn't too many unintended consequences.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts