Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today we started to paint the body of our mk4 roadster! (doors, trunk, and hood are done already). We decided to do it ourselves in our DIY paint booth in our shop. Thought I would share some photos. These photos are of just the base coat, clear coat had not been shot yet. If anyone is wondering, this color is Lamborghini Titanium.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,270 Posts
Just something about metallic colors before the clear goes on that just looks so right. Looks like brushed aluminum. I was so tempted to shoot a matte clear over my metallic blue paint after seeing it "in the raw."

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just something about metallic colors before the clear goes on that just looks so right. Looks like brushed aluminum. I was so tempted to shoot a matte clear over my metallic blue paint after seeing it "in the raw."
I agree! It really does look awesome with that satin/matte finish. Maybe another project later down the road I will shoot a matte clear over the base!

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Really nice. I thought about silver - it is a great look with the round curves. No stripes is AOK in my book, but not everyone agrees. While the matte is cool, I think you will be blown away once the clear goes on. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
4,187 Posts
Silver can be tricky to spray. Looks like you did a real nice job. :thumbup1:

·
FFCobra Captain
11,697 Posts
Nice. CSX3154 was a silver car. Very cool look.

side story...I painted my car (FFR3154) silver with brandywine candy stripes. I didn't know that CSX3154 was silver...had I known, I would have done silver with no stripes on my car.

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
The only problem - in the 3rd pic - there's a tiny head sticking out of the DS fender. Guess you missed it during prep.

But seriously, the color looks awesome and it looks like you laid it down very nicely. Congrats!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here are some photos of the finished product. We shot the clear on today... Also I'm putting up a couple photos of our paint booth if anyone was interested in seeing that...

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,469 Posts
WOW!! Outstanding job. Very clean atmosphere, great pictures too. Congratulations on a huge milestone!

Mike

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, we will "cut and buff' the clear. Also, can't wait to post graduation photos after final assembly!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts