Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having trouble with my stock built 92 5.0 starter. When cold, It starts right up. once it warms up. It hardly turns over. I just replaced the starter and have the same problem. a jump start fires it right up. I checked the timing. While running, I get 13.8 volts. While off, I get 11.85 volts. Could this be my problem? Thanks for your help.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,747 Posts
That 11.85 is a problem. A good battery should be at 12.5-12.6 just sitting there.not sure where you measured that voltage but it's a place to start.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks Ron, this is the time of year I want to drive this but am afraid to turn it off. I'll try the ground first. Dennis

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. Craig I think you hit it. I changed batteries and ran it for about 20 min and it started right back up again. I will ground the starter too. Thanks for your help. Dennis

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Have the battery load tested. make sure it has a full charge before testing. Also check the dash gauge against a voltmeter to be sure what the gauge is reading is correct. there was a reason for the battery needing a charge.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,266 Posts
If this problem resurfaces with the new battery and you are using the old large style starter and just want to be done with this problem change to a '93 "mini-torque" starter and you problem will be over. No need to mess with anything else.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Check the crimped end at the battery. I was having a hot start problem and while starting to check all connections I was disconnecting the + cable at the battery and the post clamp just pulled off the cable. Soldiered it back on, problem gone.
geno

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.