Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Charter Member
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Holly Street Avenger, electric choke and mechanical fuel pump. Seems like starting is a bit more difficult than it should be. If I am running the car once a week I will normally pump gas twice, turn key and it wants to fire but doesn't. I'll crank for 3-4 secs. Two more pumps of the gas and then turn the key again it will start. Sometimes I have to do this 3 times instead of 2. When it does fire the idle is set back to it's normal idle position so I have to keep the RPM's up until it warms or it will die. I'm assuming this is because I have pumped the gas a few times which has shutoff the fast idle. Choke seems to be working as it should. Car starts great and without any gas when warm. So...

Can someone explain how the fast idle works and if there is a way I can keep it in the fast positon after pumping the go pedal a few times? Maybe something isn't set right and I should only need to pump the gas once or twice?

For those of you with similiar setups, what sequence of steps do you follow when starting?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
10,650 Posts
Jeff,

There is a heating element under the round choke cap on the pass side of the carb. It engages both the choke butterfly to close off the air supply and has a shaft that passes through the carb to a cam under the throttle linkage. The choke is spring loaded and will come on anytime the element is cold. By loosening and rotating the cap you can control how long the choke stays engaged. By adjusting the cam position, you can adjust the fast idle speed.

When properly adjusted, you should only have to push the throttle pedal all the way to the floor once and turn the key. Well, every engine is different and with all the upgrades and go fast parts we put on these cars each one will have its own optimal approach.

When the car is cold, take the air cleaner off and hold the throttle linkage open. Watch to see if the fast idle cam engages and if it does when you return the throttle to closed how much it holds the throttle open. If the cam doesn't engage, hold the throttle open and turn the cap in the rich direction until the cam just engages. If it does engage, but the throttle is not cracked, adjust the fast idle screw to just crack the throtle (you want about 1500 rpm).

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
I've got the same trouble + it's waaay rich with the choke engaged the fix seems to be to make small holes in the choke plate for me . Not real happy with the carb.Bob

·
Charter Member
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info/advice Mark. I'll do some investigation. Glad to know I'm not the only one Bob.

·
Junior Charter Member
259 Posts
I read somewhere recently (on here maybe) that if the car doesn't start right away, the electric element will heat up because the key is ON for a while and has 12V going to the element. Then when it does start the choke is already back at the 'warm' position. It would be worst when the outside temp is marginal only requiring a short choke time. Think the solution was to connect it to 12v RUN only source, but don't remember the details. This is AFTER all other adjustments as outlined by Mark are correct, of course.

Jim

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,722 Posts
BEFORE you turn the key on,push the gas all the way to the floor and hold it 2-3 seconds.This will allow time to get the choke set.Then just start the car w/o touching the gas pedal. As Mark says your choke may need some adjusting. If it doesn't set at the current temps, you may need to rotate the choke housing.you may want to rotate it further than just enough to get it to set.If you rotate further it will stay on longer after starting.I adjusted my Edel choke 2 months ago and now feel I may need to crank it a little further cause it comes off too quickly.On my car the electric heater starts heating the choke as soon as you turn the key to on so, even only 30 seconds after starting,if i touch the gas,I lose the high idle.Now I remember some of the idiosyncracies of carbs (which I haven't driven in 20 yrs) and see why efi is better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts