Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I turned the key the other day and it sounded like a cat in a blender. The motor doesn't turn over and I get this screeching sound. I pulled the starter and the gears on both the starter and flywheel look fine. Is the starter likely toast? Is there a way to test it off the car? I hate to drop two hundred bucks to see if that's it.

· Charter Member
1,774 Posts
I've hadstarter to test good at the parts store but were bad.

We have a local shop that works on starters, alternator, etc. I have taken starters (alternators) that have pass the test at the parts stores to him and they fail. He does a load test. He has repaired a lot of them for us and the price is alway very good.

Dwight

· Registered
1,621 Posts
I had a toasted starter also when doing my first start. With the starter housing grounded, connect both the battery feed and the solenoid feed to 12 V and the starter should spin, be careful of course, it's quite a strong motor. If it doesn't spin, either a cooked starter motor or solenoid, if you have like mine, both are fixed together. A new one or rebuilt will set you back 150$ or so.

You can also do this when the starter is still mounted by jumping the two positive wires going to the starter and solenoid.

· Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The starter is turning over fine. It's making a loud screeching sound and it's not turning the motor over. Like maybe the solenoid is not fully engaging the flywheel. Neither the gear on the starter or the flywheel looks damaged at all. When I got the car home from work (after coasting down a hill to get her started), I pulled up in the garage and cut her off. Restarted immediately - no problem. Repeated - again started with no problem. On the third start - I got the same thing I had back at the office - loud screeching sound and no motor turn. Now all it does is screech when I hit the starter.

· Registered
1,327 Posts
Try DB Electrical

Tony,
I replaced the starter on my 427w last month with one from DB Electrical. Shipped to my door it was $56.95.

It even came w/the jumper wire & hardware to 'retrofit' it into cars w/fender mounted solenoids. So far, so good.

HTH,
Will

· Premium Member
9,560 Posts
I got mine from DB as well and had no problems for the entire time I owned my car. If you want help swapping it out, let me know.

· FFCobra Fanatic
1,679 Posts
If you remove the starter and turn the engine over (by wrench on the front) and watch the flywheel, you may find an area where the teeth are missing or damaged. If the engine happens to stop right there, it'll screech and not start the next time. I had a 427 vette way back when that would do that. I had to put it in 4th, move the car a little, moving the flywheel passed the damaged area, and then it would start. Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.