Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got some time to work on the car today and thought I'd work on the starter and ignition wiring. Got a mild surprise when I crawled under the car to check out the starter. I had been familiarizing my self with the attach diagram and am now not sure what goes where.

Please check out the photos to see what my starter looks like vs. what the drawing says...

Thanks in advance,

Ken

Attachments

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,836 Posts
As best I can tell, the big battery wire will go to the top terminal. the start wire will go to the smaller side terminal and the yellow wire will go to the same terminal as the batt. wire. How did I do guys??

·
Registered
926 Posts
From what I can see of the starter in the picture, I’m with cobradawg on this one. Can you get a picture of the entire sheet of your wiring diagram and maybe a different one of the starter? The starter picture almost looks like there is a strap connection from the bottom post to the left (smaller) post. I’m using the American Autowire on my car as well, but I think your diagram is newer than mine.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
I just installed a PMGR starter last week. Here is how the instructions said to wire it. Scott

Auto part Engine Fuel line Exhaust system Pipe
Wire Electrical wiring Auto part Fuel line Pipe
Wire Electrical wiring Cable Auto part Fuel line

·
FFCobra Craftsman
25,959 Posts
Johnny has it correct. The old style firewall solenoid now is used as a starter relay. What is the rectangular thing in your diagram? Is that a solenoid?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Johnny has it correct. The old style firewall solenoid now is used as a starter relay. What is the rectangular thing in your diagram? Is that a solenoid?
The rectangular 'thing' is the mega-fuse.

The terminal for the "batt" is pretty clear and I'll connect the Purple to the smaller terminal lug and see what happens.

Ken

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,808 Posts
OK, you have the American Autowire set up. The hot lead from the battery goes to one side of the mega fuse. The other side of the mega fuse goes to the fuse panel. From hot side of the mega fuse take another positive battery cable and run directly to the starter positive post. Run the "start wire" (not battery cable size) from the ignition to the relay and from the other relay side run to the spade hookup on the external solenoid. The starter is always hot on the external solenoid starters.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all, got it worked out last night.

I terminated the main battery run to the top connection along with the smaller wire to the Altenator and another run for the mega-fuse. Worked out pretty well. Cranks like a mofo. I plan to wire up the MSD box, coil, and dizzy and hopefully I'll get that first start this weekend.

Thanks for the inputs!

·
Premium Member
3,886 Posts
Good progress!
Make sure you post a 1st start video. :icon18:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.