Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering where the best place to mount these 2 items is!?! Please post some pics!

I've seen some starter solenoids mounted by the passenger side engine mount, but this seems a little too exposed to me. How about on the firewall right above the tranny tunnel? Or what about inside the tranny tunnel itself?

I do need to clear a McLeod bellhousing in the tunnel, though.

[ June 08, 2007, 01:57 AM: Message edited by: turboguy ]

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
get a mini starter ans eliminate the external realy take power for you alternator from the starter or ad a little "powerblock junction thingy" run t he wire for the aly along the upper 3/4 frame drill and grommet and mount the mega fuse just below the 2nd 3/4 tube in the engine compartment . This puts it close to the alt and easily accesible to steal power for accessories. Bob

·
Premium Member
10,650 Posts
Here's how I mounted mine. It's a coupe, but the foot box is similar:

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Originally posted by Bob Taylor:
get a mini starter ans eliminate the external realy
Bob-

My understanding is that even with the mini-starter you should be using a dedicated starter relay?

[ June 08, 2007, 09:41 AM: Message edited by: turboguy ]

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mark-

No problems with the starter relay mounted that close to the exhaust?

Looks like you're running one circuit to power both high and low beams? What value circuit breaker are you using to protect it all?

What about mounting the charge cable mega-fuse on the 3/4x3/4 frame member that runs from the top of the passenger footbox to the front of the car?

·
Premium Member
10,650 Posts
No issues with it close, but it is a bit deceiving in the picture (about 10" away). Yes on one circuit, either the highs or lows are on at one time, not both. It is a 30 amp breaker.

You could mount it there, On the coupe that bar is not covered and I didn't like the thought of the fuse dangling in the breeze!

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
I mounted ours to the rear upright behind the driver's seat so it would be close to the battery. Using the PMGR starter the big battery cable to the front is only hot during cranking. The main power lead for the fuse box uses a fusible link and the main power wire for the alternator uses a mega-fuse, also mounted in the rear by the solenoid.

Early in the build when I first mounted the solenoid:

And later when I mounted the mega-fuse:

While it will take the removal of the LR tire for access, everything is out of the way and it is mounted right where you would route the cables anyway.

HTH...
Mark

·
Banned
3,817 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Mustang Man:
Using the PMGR starter the big battery cable to the front is only hot during cranking.
I thought of doing this for safety reasons too Mark, but won't the alternator charge cable always be "hot" in the tunnel when the car is running? And if you run extra feeds off the battery to power stuff like headlights then we end up with more powered cables in the tunnel, not less :(

This is about the point where my head explodes.

·
Cobra Builder
1,728 Posts
Here is my set up, I placed the starter solenoid on the passenger motor mount. My battery terminal is from I-squared and it has a 150 amp fuse, and the alternator also has a breaker mounted on the F-panel. The battery box is from Breeze.
This is a work in progress but I like this set up.

HIH, Pat

·
section 8
5,136 Posts
No relay no problems , because you are not using a high amp connection to the starter . The fat cable comes from the output end of your kill switch and all you are doing with the ign switch or start button is powering the solenoid on the mini starter. Marks pics show the "power junction thingy" Hey all, nice work everone is sooo good.. I mount everything as high as possible on the chassis to avoid damage from road debris (whatever the air dam doesn't take out) Bob

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
Turboguy...

Yes, there are other hot wires running at all times, but they have circuit protection (mega-fuse, fusible links, etc.)

The main battery cable can carry so many amps it will weld to the chassis and there's really no circuit protection large enough for that cable, thus it is generally deemed the better way to have it only live during cranking.

If you hit the key and sparks fly you can turn the key off and you will be breaking the connection to ground, where as if the wire was hot at all times and the wire grounded for some reason (loose connection, accident) there's no stopping it. You just sit back, watch it glow and see your battery explode...

If you want some more detailed info check out www.madelectrical.com. Mark Hamilton knows his stuff and has helped us many times on electrical/wiring projects...

HTH...
Mark

·
Building Something
367 Posts
Mounted Mine on the side of trans tunnel with some quarter twenty bolt, still have not figured out the location for My fuse yet. Finnished the motor wiring and starting on the rest of the car this week with painless, looks to be not that hard soo far.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts