Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After replacing the third relay in the last 14 months I am starting to question whether there is a replacement for the Ford relay. Is there a solid-state relay that will not freeze on?

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,767 Posts
I bought a heavy duty Ford truck starter relay which seems to be working just fine and even fits the same bolt pattern,
Steve

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
You mean to tell me you've had three Ford/Motorcraft starter solenoids all stick in the engaged position in the last 14 months?

That's just very uncommon...

I've had the same starter solenoid on my '90 Mustang since I bought it new (15 years!)...

Are you using the EFI version with internal diode? How is the solenoid body grounded and where is it located on the car and in relation to your battery cable routing?

Mark

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Just a thought.....
Maybe it's your starter????(Intermittently sticking)
I thought that my remote solenoid was bad...replaced it...but still had the same problem. Turned out to be the starter itself.
Eric

·
Junior Charter Member
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Relay is Ford original part.
Relay is mounted on the firewall.
I will try the truck version next time.
When I talked to the parts guys at the dealership, one of them had a Tarus that ate them on a regular basis (6 months).
Got to be a better part.

·
Premium Member
5,825 Posts
Jim,

Your Sig. line indicates EFI. If you're trying the truck version make sure you get an EFI starter relay. I looked up the parts listing for a 94 F250 (5.8l EFI) and a 1989 Mustang GT (5.0l EFI) and they are the same part number. Here is a pic of Standard Motor products part #SS598

I almost made the mistake of using one designed for 1987 (carbed) F250 and a Ford mechanic warned me that it does not have an internal diode which EFI computers require. It looks like this:

Works fine for carb motor, not so good for EFI.

Sean

1 - 9 of 9 Posts