Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a starter relay from Napa (Echlin ST80). Does anybody know how to hook this thing up? I hook the battery cable to one of the large pins but when I put a test light to the other side, nothing happens. I am assuming the 2 small pins are for other 12v accessory hookups.

Curtis

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,806 Posts
The stock Mustang starter relay has 2 large terminals and one small terminal. The housing must be grounded. The battery cable and all the fusible links go on one of the large terminals. The cable to the starter goes on the other large terminal. And the wire from the start terminal of the ignition switch goes on the small terminal. All that is for a pre-1992 starter. If you are using the mini starter the hook-up is slightly different.

·
Premium Member
9,698 Posts
There are a couple of ways to hook up a starter relay, depending on what starter you have. If you have a Ford mini starter, hook up the batt pos to one of the large terminals on the solenoid. Hook up the large cable from the starter to that same terminal. Hook up the smaller wire from the starter to the other large solenoid post. The small terminal on the left front side of the solenoid, is for the start wire from the ignition. The other small terminal is not used. If you are using the older style large starter, the wiring is slightly different. Late model Ford solenoids have only one small terminal, and make for a cleaner install, as they don't have the unused terminal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.