Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My starter stayed on the other day when running my car, I heard a stranger grinding noise, so I turned off the car and the starter was still running but quickly was stopped by the resistnce of the non running engine. This seemed to drain my battery dead in 1/2 minute. I replaced the starter relay (or solinoid, can't remember the name) and recharged the battery and it started fine, right away.

Should I get the starter checked out as well? It is a rebuilt unit, its been on the car for over a year but has not been on the road, could this problem have occured due to lack of use?
Thanks.

[ December 07, 2006, 12:27 PM: Message edited by: PUDDY ]

·
4,494 Posts
I would replace the starter anyway.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you think this problem originated with the starter or the relay/solinoid?

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,806 Posts
I'd say the problem was electrical. If the starter was just physically hung up and would not disengage, the battery would not have gone dead. Electrical could mean the relay or the start switch.

·
4,494 Posts
I agree with PAB, that the original problem was likely the starter relay or ignition switch, but replace the starter to be sure it is not contributing, cost is little.

·
Premium Member
6,413 Posts
If this starter relay was from the donor, it was probably worn out...Hope you replaced with a Ford unit, or you will have the problem again soon (ask me how I know)...The relay was probably what caused the problem , and a new starter will do the same with a bad relay.(Can't hurt to replace the starter anyway).

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was a new ford relay I had installed on the car originally. Now I put another new ford relay in there. Im gonna yank the starter and get another rebuilt unit.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After talking to a starter "expert" he suggested the relay was probably fualty, so I replaced the fried relay with another new ford relay.

The exact same thing happened again last night. The car continued running after I turned off the key, I had to pull the positive cable off the battery to get the car to stop. I am not sure what to do, are ford relays junk? This is 2 brand new Ford relays I have fried. Its making me nervous and pissed off since I was supposed to take the car to get the freshly painted body mounted todaym now I have to put that on hold until I get this sorted out.

Any more help or advise is greatly appreciated!!

·
Senior Charter Member
6,104 Posts
If it happened again with a brand new relay, maybe you should take a step back and think it through. What are the odds of two bad relays, one that has been in the car "forever" and one that is brand new.

My guess is something else is causing this problem. When this happens, have you checked to see if power is going to the little red wire that hooks to the relay? Maybe something is shorting out elsewhere and sending power to the relay.

·
8,356 Posts
What PAB said. Check your ignition wiring at the key switch. Something is shorting out; loose wire?

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, we'll chack that tonight, thanks for the help guys!

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Leave the wire off the starter and connect it to a volt meter instead. Do a few test with the key like you would if starting the car. Find the solenoid sticking by seeing voltage at the starter wire when you turn the key off pull the start wire (S term)off the solenoid. voltage drops,ignition switch or wireing is problem . Still see voltage at starter wire it is a bad solenoid.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My Dad knows a lot more about electrical than I, he went at it with a volt meter last night and he figured the problem was due to low voltage in the battery. You see the car is still a go cart and doesn’t run for very long periods of time so when starting and stopping the car, the battery has drained little by little causing low voltage.

We believe the extra load on the relay trying to click on during the low voltage has caused it to stick and make the car continue running. What do you think?

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Like others, I think you don't have something wired correctly. I don't think a low battery would cause the problem. How many times have you ever heard of someone saying they couldn't turn their car off because their battery was low?? It's either the wiring or relay..

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The relay fuses open or "on" so the starter keeps spinning & the car continues running. I hope that makes sense? We've checked our wiring and everything is fine, no shorts anywhere and no ignition problems.

·
5,042 Posts
Originally posted by PUDDY:
no shorts anywhere and no ignition problems.
Well the problem says otherwise. When you turn off the ignition key and the starter keeps running, then there is obviously power getting to the starter. This can happen two ways:

1) The alternator is feeding power to the starter

2) The battery is feeding power to the starter.

For option 2, you should have a functioning solenoid that has broken this connection. To test if this is the problem, start the engine then unbolt the cable on the solenoid that goes to the starter. Then turn the car off. If it keeps running again your problem is option 1. If the engine stops, the problem is option 2.

For option 2, there are two faults that can occur. First is that the solenoid is faulty and stays on after being activated. To test this, start the car and put a curcuit tester across it's terminals. It should read zero (i.e. it has turned off once you stopped turning the ignition key to 'start'. If it reads anything then the next test is to put your meter across the ignition starter curcuit to see if the solenoid is being activated. It is is then it's your ignition switch that is at fault.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
A bad bendix on the starter could cause it to stay engaged to the flywheel. However if so this still would not fry the solenoid,just damage flywheel and starter. Low battery will not cause this problem. It would cause a the soleniod not to energize or starter not to turn from low voltage but no way hurt soleniod. Recheck wireing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts