Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I need to pick up a starter for the Coyote crate motor. I would prefer not to run a external solenoid(off the starter).

I read recently that a 2011-2012 Mustang 5.0 starter would be a good option for that. Anyone have some tech they are willing to share on what the best starter options are?

David

·
Registered
739 Posts
When I was doing my research, I found that the 05+ 4.6 mustang starter would work on the coyote. However, this starter also has an integral solenoid like the 2011+ starter. The 05-10 mustang starter cross references to the 99-12 expedition, 99-10 F150 and 99-06 F250. It seems to be more available at reasonable prices than the 11+ stang starter as it has been around longer.

I guess an advantage to the starter mounted solenoid is simpler wiring at the firewall since there is no solenoid and large gauge cables mounted here. I would guess the solenoid could supply more amps since the cable run is shorter too. Either way, this style starter has proven very reliable on production cars.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.