Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay - here they are folks - Stars and Bars.

Let's see your patriotism to either your country, state, team or School Colors!

I wanted to wait until the 4th of July to unveil my Spec Racer to the world.
We actually debuted "Hoss" AKA CAPTAIN AMERICA at Road America last weekend.
Hoss was not without his teething pains as I discovered the right side axle was bent to the point of wobbling the wheel 1/4". Try driving at 150+ mph with a wobbling wheel - not fun...

Anyways - here are the pictures.

In the first two pictures, some of the ASPerformance team wives are busy getting ready to apply the graphics and numbers to my car. To the right you will see the record holding Spec Racer of ASPerformance's Ken Olson. Ken has captured the track records for SP at both Blackhawk Farms raceway in Beloit WI, and this weekend he captured both the qualifying and race records at Road America!

In the following pictures taken by a new friend Lyle (who is building his own Spec Racer), you can see myself and Hoss out on the track during the first qualifying session (the only session we made due to the axle);

I'd like to take just a moment to offer up some thanks here;

* My wife - who sticks by me through anything and has for going on 29 years now

* My partners in ASPerformance - Tom Fuehrer (Does all our body and paint - no matter how weird I get) and Ken Olson (always ready to lend a hand and makes one heck of a rabbit for me to chase!)

* The Wives of ASPerformance - They put up with crabby and tired husbands, feed us, clothe us and help sooth our jangled nerves when things just aren't going right.

* Members of this forum that have helped me out by keeping me on track not only with supplying parts, but moral support during my 14 months of un-employment.

* Trent Bland - Tabland - Great job with vinyl graphics. Unfortunately I don't have a very good camera that shows the true quality of his work. Trent did the stars for my car that were used as templates, numbers, logos and a lot more..

P.S. Happy Birthday to that Yankee Doodle Dandy - Alan Dubbelde!

·
3,645 Posts
I like it

·
Registered
3,217 Posts
Awesome... now you need to go find a parade!!
Ken

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Hi Randy, I like the paint scheme but am sorry I didn't know you were coming to R.A. I would have been pleased to have crewed (or even put in a good chase with the Pumpkin Racer).

Was this a club event? I didn't see either Cobra there at the Sprints, although I was only there one day of that weekend. I did get to exercise my car during the Touring session on Sat. as a shake down for the new 3-link rear susp., fuel vent, and other odds and ends done over the last few months.

Speaking of fresh graphics.... Did you see my new paint (finished Friday)?

The stripe and number circle treatment is the same on the tail. Sides are white circles with 1/2" blue borders.

Sorry I missed your visit to Cheesland. I've received my acceptance to have my car included in the BRIC at Road America on the 16th-18th of July. I will be in their "exhibition" class as they don't know what else to do with me. That's okay, but I'll probably be the slowest thing out there (old F-1, NASCAR, and who knows what!).

So, we need to have some bench marks for R.A. and Blackhawk.... What times were you able to achieve? I'm assuming I'll be under 3:00 a lap at R.A. even on street tires, but unless I upgrade to race rubber I don't expect much more than that. I think race rubber would be good for around 10 sec a lap but it's hard to guess at such a long track.

BTW, I "timed" a lap from Gordon Levy's video of R.A. done a few years ago. That was a "street" cobra with a full wind screen, but the lord only knows how many horsepower! It timed in at 2:40 to 2:45 a lap if I remember right.

I was just in Eau Claire on Thursday picking up a new enclosed trailer. If I'd had a bit more time, I would have come over to ASP for a visit.

I'm still considering some 15" rims (pretty inexpensive!) and running some Hoosier TDs for some fun in Midwest Council's Vintage group. A friend (Pete Wilson) has asked me to co-drive the 10Hr race at Gingerman in his Spec. Miata. Maybe I should take the Pumpkin Gulf Racer there and we'll swap rides with the same drivers! Nothing like 20 hours of seat time to wear out some parts! Ever been to Gingerman? Lots of part throttle driving. Not like Road America!

Best regards,

·
Premium Member
2,332 Posts
I like it! Couldn't think of a better day for Hoss's debut! Great work!

-SGC

·
Premium Member
18,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks fellas!

I appreciate the kind words.

I am a Vietnam Veteran that is VERY proud of his country.
My wife and I fly a flag at my home all year round and thought it would be nice to fly one at the track too!

Tom - Cool paint-job! I like the Gulf Colors!!
We are headed to Blackhawk Farms in Beloit WI for the SCCA Double-Regional called the "Firecracker" next weekend. It would be great to have you there!
Also, Ken set the track record at Road America with a 2:42 and the track record at Blackhawk with a 1:20. I am just hoping to get close for now as I am still sorting out Hoss.

[ July 05, 2004, 09:01 AM: Message edited by: Big-Foot ]

·
Junior Charter Member
1,996 Posts
Very nice build, congrats! Paint scheme looks very good, too.

·
Premium Member
18,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Lukas! Hoss is not quite legal for the street yet, but I plan on doing that over the summer yet.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
394 Posts
Hey Randy, VERY nice. I do believe that your timing was perfect. Awesome car, nicely done!! I hope you have as much fun with it as it looks. Your Friend BenC

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Randy the car looks GREAT!! Congrats on such a beautiful build. I am glad I could help out on the graphics, if there is anything else I can help you with feel free to holler at me.

T

1 - 20 of 25 Posts