Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new Edlebrock intake manifold (alu - Torker II) has yellow or rust(!) stains everywhere!!!... :-(
Do you know this problem on Edlebrock product and how can I erase those stains?
Thx
Cyril

·
Super Moderator
29,560 Posts
You can have the manifold glass bead blasted to remove the stains.

2FAST

·
Premium Member
18,090 Posts
You can also use mag-wheel cleaner. Be aware though that you may have to give it a light fogging with WD40 to keep the manifold from corroding just from moisture in the air.

This is one of the reasons I always paint my intakes either with a High Temp Clear-coat or with Black Wrinkle paint..

·
Charter Member
1,495 Posts
You will constantly have this problem due to the release oils in the casting. You'll need to bake it at 400* for 1/2 hour to get the oils out. Or you can take it to your nearest powder coater ane have it done. They will bake it first then sandblast it. It this point you have 2 options, you can have it tumbled(polished) and then clear powder coated, or, you can have it done in ceramic. Either way, they will do all the prep. Good luck. Mike

·
Charter Member
1,495 Posts
Oh, by the way. If you elect to VHT Clear coat it without baking the oils out first, it "will" yellow. Ask me how I know this. Mike again

·
Senior Charter Member
1,110 Posts
Question... if you buy a polished intake manifold does it already have some type of clear on it or do the polished ones need to be clear coated too???

·
Charter Member
1,495 Posts
Polished intakes are just that...polished. You will have to constantly polish them to keep them looking good. Very time consuming. I don't know how clear powdercoating would stick on a polished intake. It usually takes sandblasting to give the powder a good etch to stick to. Try smothing out the casting with flapper wheels and emery cloth and then have it ceramic coated. The smoother you get it, the shinnier it will come out. One other note on clear powder is that if you get oil on it and run your engine, it will burn into the surface. Mike

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My intake is already installed so I tried Acid wheel cleaner and it works great.
Next time I will paint the intake first with a good prep.
A little bit frustating for a brand new product... :-(
Thank you guys
Cyril

1 - 9 of 9 Posts