Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
New
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I installed my current headers, I opted to grind off a little material on the Stage 8 locking tabs for a perfect fit. I'll bet that the new headers won't go on at the same bolt positions and new locking tabs would be nice. I've only seen complete packages of all of the components for sale. Anyone know where just the tabs might be purchased? Tx, Darrel

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
Call Stage 8 directly. They've been very helpful for me before and will probably mail you exactly what you need at a reasonable price. They put together a custom package for me for my headers to side pipes.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,837 Posts
Been there. Call them, they'll send you new tabs.

·
Big Kahuna
5,671 Posts
I bet you will still find a spot for all of them. I did a lot of flipping and moving and got them all back in.

Remember, they are there to keep the bolts from backing out. 1/16 of a turn backing out is acceptable to me. I have no leaks and am very please with them. Standard FoMoCo gasket.

·
Vendor
8,399 Posts
I loath the stage 8 hardware and use the Percy locking bolts. They have a 12 point 3/8 head with an allen screw that locks the threads. The 12 point gives you much more room for a wrench to tighten them ands you don't ever have to mess with the E clips or trying to get the locking tabs to align up.

·
Junior Charter Member
242 Posts
I'm with you Wayne no luck with Stage 8 glad I found Percy good system. You have to custom make each Stage 8 tad to fit each bolt.

Anthony

·
iBuild
5,824 Posts
Cool feeback on the Percy's, I have been looking at them and trying to decide if they were going to be better / easier to install then the Stage 8's.

-Scott

·
New
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Gents. Will call stage 8 in 2 minutes.

Didn't know about the Percy solution; it looks nice but quite a difference in cost. This forum is living up to its reputation. :)

Darrel

·
Charter Member
394 Posts
I know this is a little off topic, but why run a locking fastener at all? I have never had any backing out problems out of my standard stainless ARP bolts. If they were really needed, why wouldn't we see these on high end production vehicles?

·
Charter Member
7,902 Posts
Has anyone got the percy's to fit on 351 headers? The only thing I could find was 12 point bolts from percy's and there's no way to get a wrench around one of those with the 351 headers.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
5,825 Posts
Has anyone got the percy's to fit on 351 headers? The only thing I could find was 12 point bolts from percy's and there's no way to get a wrench around one of those with the 351 headers.
Posted via Mobile Device
I did.

I have the older generation Hooker (not BBK) ceramic coated 4 into 4's and I modified (ground) a box end wrench to fit the 3/8" (smaller) bolt head of the Percy's bolts just fine. I had to shave the box end quite a bit with my bench grinder, but had no problems getting the bolts nice and tight. I found it actually quite a bit easier than dealing with the Stage 8 bolts I replaced.

The Stage 8 bolts use a 7/16" (bigger) bolt head and I was not able to get a box end on most of the bolts due to the header tubes impeding access. I also hated sizing the clips on the Stage 8 bolts (test, remove, grind, repeat etc.).

I had the same concerns about the 12 point bolt heads preventing use of an open end wrench, but was very pleased at how easy they were to install using my modified box end wrench.

Sean

·
FFCobra Craftsman
3,235 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation Wayne and others. I have been having trouble with my header bolts backing out and have been looking for a solution. These look like they'll work great. Will be buying these shortly....along with a new set of header gaskets.

I loath the stage 8 hardware and use the Percy locking bolts. They have a 12 point 3/8 head with an allen screw that locks the threads. The 12 point gives you much more room for a wrench to tighten them ands you don't ever have to mess with the E clips or trying to get the locking tabs to align up.

·
Junior Charter Member
242 Posts
The need to have to grind down a wrench to fit the bolts is one reason the Stage 8 system doesn't work very well. Theres very little room around the header bolts.

Anthony

·
Vendor
8,399 Posts
I bought a wrench from snap on that is a long 3/8 combo wrench that fits the bolts in the headers and gives you plenty of torque.

·
Banned
474 Posts
Hi guys. I just wanted to post in this old thread about the Percy locking bolts.

I've been using them on my shakedown runs and they're very good, BUT you want to double check them every few hundred miles. I did not and found 2 of my bolts had been spat out along the way, and another 2 were loose.

But I would rather deal with that than those locking Stage 8 bolts! I can not begin to imagine the PAIN they would be to remove.

·
Big Kahuna
5,671 Posts
I don't know what all the fuss is about taking stage 8's off? They come off very easily, but certainly not all by themselves...

PS, glad to hear the Percy units work so well. Can you get your money back?:confused1::confused1::confused1:

·
Banned
474 Posts
I don't know what all the fuss is about taking stage 8's off? They come off very easily, but certainly not all by themselves...
I do not know about your headers, but on mine the tubes are VERY tight against the bolt holes. I've had to grind down several 12pt wrenches to the point of metal fatigue in order to get them to slip on.

Tight spaces + removing locking tabs = NO FUN!

·
Big Kahuna
5,671 Posts
I have FRPP stainless shorties.

I use one of these:

That gets the bolt on tight. Then I use a long non t-handle allen wrench to tighten them down. Works perfectly.

I do understand that a lot of headers are difficult to get to though.

·
Master Builder
1,243 Posts
New style Percy's

THe chosen one, check to see if the locking allen screw is one piece or two. Percys has changed them, the new ones work better and you can tighten them completely so the bolts wont come out. I had same problem called Percys they sent me a whole new set FREE. Percys header gaskests are also very good.
I agree with Wayne Stage 8 are a PIA.

Kenny

1 - 20 of 27 Posts