Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JAM's thread made me remember some pictures I wanted to post here. Air cleaners on a stack system can be a difficult proposition. There isn't a whole lot of hood space to work with, but here's some ideas.

In this picture, you can see the original Ingeles "tea strainer" filter at the top. It's a thin dry foam filter sandwiched between two metal screens. This will filter out the big rocks, and that's about all. That's OK for the race track, but not much better in filtering than an open stack. And the open stack makes more power.

On the bottom stack I made a filter out of K&N gauze material. I simply replaced the foam element with the gauze material. Pretty slick, huh? This is a BAD IDEA! At high rpm's, the engine ate a couple of these. Don't do this.

So then I got some of these. They look a lot better, and work a lot better. But I suspect they lose some power. Great for street use.

OTOH, I saw this at the Good Guys show in Colorado this month. Just looking at it I would think they would provide the best performance with the best filtering. The air intake temp probe was also threaded into this box.

·
Premium Member
9,689 Posts
This is the TWM air box, designed to use the stacks inside.

K&N also makes an air cleaner for use on DCOE type carbs that have the stack inside, but I don't know if the spacing is correct for a stack injection system.

John

·
Banned
6,100 Posts
What is the point of stacks if you have to cover them up. Sucks that nobody makes a good looking air cleaner to sit on each stack individually.

·
5,559 Posts
I agree! I would never waste the money on stacks just to put a big 'ol box on them! Since performance wise, stacks aren't really much better than say a Massflo, or even a properly sized carb, for the money, so it all comes down to the cool factor. Then again, to me the open trumpets look the best, but I'd be afraid to leave the car with them at a show. Just imagine what some jealous s.o.b. could do by dropping a pennt, or pebble in there! :eek:

Brian

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's more to a stack system than just the looks. They do add quite a bit of power over other systems.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts