Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From scouring this forum and other mustang forums it appears that the SROD bellhousing out of a 1979 - 1983 mustang will allow a tremec to bolt up to the SBF. The question I have is if there is a casting ID or some other means of identifying this specific bellhousing when I am at the local salvage yards. I am thinking that the tranny or engine may be gone and so I may be looking at just the bellhousing.

From these sources, I believe it may have the prefix "D9Z", but not sure.

I know I can get a new one, but being unemployed right now I am trying to save money wherever I can...:)

As always, thanks in advance to this great group of enthusiasts.

Chris

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi Chris,
The SROD bellhousing and T-5 are the same casting number. They machine a different bolt pattern & larger ID for the T-5....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is my best bet to try and make a template from my TR3550 trans then? (That way I can check the bellhousing in the yard) Is there any other method you recommend?

Thanks Mike.

·
Premium Member
9,134 Posts
Hi Chris,
The bolt holes are the key. Just measure the span between the bolts on the trans and look for the matching bellhousing...
Good Luck,

·
FFCobra Fanatic
5,469 Posts
If you are looking at an old one it should be the D9ZC number you mention. They came in the SROD 4 speed Mustangs up to around 82-83 when they switched to the T5. You can tell from the top two holes being farther apart. Here are a couple pics to help you identify. I have one if you want a specific measurement to take with you...

Mike
TREMEC D9ZC 6394 BA

T-5 E9ZR6394 AA

1 - 5 of 5 Posts