Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The front end of my car sounds like an old baby buggy when I go over a speed bump or set of railroad tracks. I have the Proshock coil overs with the Mustang lower control arms and the older style FFR uppers. Everything that can be greased has been and I tightened it up at ride height. Anyone have any suggestions? This is getting embarrassing. :rolleyes:

·
Administrator
9,772 Posts
Hum, they are not usually squeaky. The silver one's do sqeak, or at least mine do.

What front end set-up do you have? Stock rack? Ball joints? etc?

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by Bill:
Hum, they are not usually squeaky. The silver one's do sqeak, or at least mine do.

What front end set-up do you have? Stock rack? Ball joints? etc?
Power steering with the stock rack
Breeze offset bushings (Rack is raised so the tie rod ends sit on top of the spindle arms)
FFR bumpsteer kit
New balljoints in the donor control arms

If I was to guess I'd say it's the shocks or springs but if it is I'm not sure how to fix it. I guess I need to have somebody bounce it while I listen.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
750 Posts
What about the LCA bushings, the poly ones have been known to squeak.

Take care,

·
Premium Member
11,853 Posts
Its the bushings. If you want to be sure spray a little WD-40 on them and see if the noise goes away. Hope this helps. Cheers Richard.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
547 Posts
I have a squeak like john had mentioned.

Hey John, Did you ever resolve your squeak problem?

If so, what was it?

Larry

·
Senior Charter Member
458 Posts
my front end squeaks and I swear it is the valving in the shocks...

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by Larry:
I have a squeak like john had mentioned.

Hey John, Did you ever resolve your squeak problem?

If so, what was it?

Larry
I gave the bushings a squirt of WD40 before I left for work this morning. I still had some squeaks on the trip home this afternoon but it's quite a bit better. I think Richard nailed it. Just wondering if there is a better lube for the bushings than WD40?

·
Senior Charter Member
1,406 Posts
There is a special lube made for polyurethane bushings that is specifically designed to prevent squeaks since polyurethane bushings squeak a lot. It's really thick and nasty, but it works. I don't know where to get it by itself. Try local performance parts shops or PST for it.

Also, I had a really annoying squeak in another car that turned out to be the spring rubbing part of the metal spring seat. Just a thought in case the bushings turn out to be not at fault.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Ive had poly bushings in my 911/930 Porsches for years and the lube ALWAYS went away after a time. The only fix I found was either smoothing the metal part high spot that was squeezing the lube out or reaming the poly bushing for more clearance. Just my $.02.

Leonard

·
Junior Charter Member
211 Posts
John,

If it's still squeeking next Saturday you'll fit rihgt in with those Amish buggies. :D

Did you torque the lower "A" arms with the suspension loaded or with the car up on stands with no load on the suspension??? This makes a difference. You want to do the final tightening with a load on the suspension.

See you on the 10th.

Dale

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by Fake Snake:
John,

If it's still squeeking next Saturday you'll fit rihgt in with those Amish buggies. :D

Did you torque the lower "A" arms with the suspension loaded or with the car up on stands with no load on the suspension??? This makes a difference. You want to do the final tightening with a load on the suspension.

See you on the 10th.

Dale
Dale,
It will probably be best if someone else takes the lead next weekend. I don't want to scare anything out of those horses. :eek:
I just went back and checked the web site since my memory is fading fast. I didn't tighten the control arm bolts until the engine was in and the ride height was set to 4 1/2 inches. I dunno why it squeaks but I gave it another shot of WD40 tonight. I'm hoping that fixes it.

[ August 02, 2002, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: John Baker ]

·
Senior Charter Member
1,406 Posts
The WD-40 will wear away quick, but if it fixes it just for a while, you'll at least know where the noise is coming from.

·
Charter Member
156 Posts
I have a book called "Chassis Engineering" and the author recommended against urethane bushings for the reasons mentioned above. He said to get nylon bushings and grease them - said to go to a bearing shop. I haven't been to the bearing shop yet - has anybody used nylon bearings?
Thanks

Mike

·
Senior Charter Member
1,406 Posts
Seems to me like nylon would be super-tough. Might as well use rod ends. FFR recommends using rubber for the two bushings pressed in the rear axle housing when using polyurethane everywhere else because, according to them, polyurethane all around can cause the rear to bind. Nylon could cause more problems like that. Just my thoughts...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts