Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Venom Buster
25 Posts
You do not use sealer on any gasket on a 5.0 motor when assembling. You need a new timing chain cover gasket(or water pump, where ever it is leaking). RTV is NEVER to be used in conjunction with a gasket, it actually MAKES a leak. You need to disassemble and clean ALL THE RTV off, and start over again. STEVE SIEGEL

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,684 Posts
Steve:
I'm sure glad this came up. I'm about to reinstall the timing cover and water pump on my 302 donor engine.
Are you saying that I should install them with the gaskets completely dry?
I had been going to use sealer. In the Tom Monroe book "How to Rebuild Small-Block Ford Engines" he recommends using a sealer.
I'd prefer to go with just a gasket but want to make dang sure it seals and I don't have any leaks.
I'm using a quality Fel-Pro gasket.
Thanks for your help.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
1,041 Posts
Frank,where is it leaking from? If it is coming from the weep hole between timing chain cover and block it is possible it is the cover itself.I used a block and front cover from a 78 pickup and my engine builder missed (not that I caught it the first time I resealed it)a pinhole on an interior wall between where the water pump sits and the open chamber were the left weephole is(one on each side)when you take that cover off make sure you inspect it carefully that way you will only have to do it once.
Mike

·
Premium Member
6,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry for lack of info, After about 7 thousand miles it sprung a leak.

mikek, its leaking from between the cover and block on both sides at the gasket. Where the two long bolts hold it. The bolts seemed a little loose.

Steve, I don't think im brave enuf to try it dry. Ive used permatex #2 with great results in the past.

What are people using on the bolts themselfs? Thread sealer, RTV, ??

Thanx.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts