Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Premium Member
18,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'v seen this process done on a You-Tube video, but today I actually had the opportunity to see it in person.

I'm not big on chrome. In fact, I like to powder coat over it. I also like to put translucent powder coating on polished alum for a really different look. But, there are a lot of parts on a car that you can't chrome, and can't powder coat: plastic, fiberglass, etc. Stuff that can't handle the chroming process or the heat of PC.

There are a number of paints and powder coats on the market that are supposed to look like chrome. They're close, and don't look too bad depending on the application. But they're definatly not chrome.

This stuff starts with silver nitrate sprayed with water through a special two nozzle gun. Then it's covered with an automotive type paint that penetrates through the silver layer and onto the base material. They can even use tinted paint for just about any color you want. It looks great! I was really impressed. It looks just like chrome plating, it's somewhat flexible, and it was very light. No heat is involved, small sheet metal parts won't warp.

They had samples of their work, and it was impressive. They had a lot of trim parts, a plastic steering wheel, a motorcycle fender, a pair of crocs (shoes), a small animal skull, and even a feather!

I think this would be a great choice for small trim parts, interior plastic parts, and some engine parts. A colored chrome dash panel on a 65 Mustang? New chrome console? Chrome carb or throttle body? Chrome intake manifold? Motorcycle forks?

I was looking at a Coyote engine in a FFR under construction. The engine has a large plastic vocer over the top. That would look great in chrome. Especially if it was tinted to body color.

I would probably not use it for something like a bumper. And it might not be tough enough for wheels. I guess if you think of it like any other automotive paint product, that's how tough it is.

Anyway, pretty impressive stuff.

Xtreme Chrome Finishes

· FFCobra Fanatic
2,015 Posts
I've been looking into this stuff also as I have two project cars that are getting fiberglass bumpers (to reduce weight),,,,but prefer them to "appear" to be stock/ chrome.

One set will go on my 72 Porsche 914 (eventually to be turbo subie powered),,
and the other for my 70 Olds 442 " w-30 clone/resto-mod" project.

Why would you not want to use it on a bumper? I know it won't be perfect show finish-reflective chrome,,,,,but I am hoping that it "appears" stock say from the next lane at the drag strip :D .

· Premium Member
9,683 Posts
I think it was West Coast Customs that did an Audi in the chrome paint. Not my cup of tea FWIW.

· Premium Member
18,256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

· Master Builder
1,243 Posts
I was interested in buying the set up as a business avenue. I sent away for the info kit and spoke to one of the company sales people.
The stuff cant be used on under hood parts as it will discolor and eventualy peel. It seems good for interior plasctic parts.
I have spoken to a user of the stuff on TV cars. Said its good for interior but doesnt last on exterior surfaces. Said because it is actually coated with a "paint type product" its prone to chip and flake.
I felt that the biggest part of a business venture would be for engine parts such as Valve covers,pulleys,water pumps brackets etc. But the company said it would not hold up.
So its a no go for me.
I also wondered if it was so good how come I couldn't find a place in NY to get it done.

Kenny

· Registered
341 Posts
y baby was to be painted Mirra Chrome paint by ALSA Corp. I spent a lot of $$$ for the kit even on a 50% off deal it was expensive. I had a professional painter do the painting of the chrome paint and at the end the paint peeled off in sheets. Worthless stuff in my book. Don't waste your money on this stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.