Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Builders Lackey
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the cresent shaped metal shields that attach to the spindles used at all? I am in the process in painting parts and don't want to inhale more cleaning solution than I have too

Thanks,

-Shawn

·
5,042 Posts
These items were designed to prevent water from coating the discs when ploughing through puddles in heavy rain and such. Discs so covered can loose all effectiveness.

Since most of us (except Wayne
) avoid this, you can leave them off. I think it looks better off.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
A lot of FFR builder chuck them but FFR3822 has both front and back disk shields, and I did paint them with POR-15. Was not concerned about the added weight, more so to keep the road grime off the rotors. Just my $0.02.

Allan

·
Builders Lackey
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks all!

Hmmmm...Lets see Frank went Front off, Rear on...I might have to go Driver front/rear on, Passenger Front/rear off...that should cover all combinations! ;)

-Shawn

·
Scalded Cat
1,847 Posts
I used mine. They came with the M2300K brake kit and I had them powder coated red with some other misc. suspension parts I had done. If for some reason later on I don't like them I can always remove them.
Todd

·
Senior Charter Member
1,966 Posts
My original thought was to leave them off too so I trashed them all around...

Now that I'm not too far from being done the front tie rod ends aren't too far from the brake disc and the boot next to the tie rod end contains synthetic grease and is very close to the brake disc. If any grease oozes out of the boot it could easily get on the disc.

This concerns me. Anyone else with SN-95 spindles and a manual Mustang rack notice this too? Pictures?

Drew
FFR#3928

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.