Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK - today was the first drive - WHAT A HOOT!!!
The speedometer continues not to work but the ODOMETER does work. Speedometer scientists, what does this mean?

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Possibility I guess - not ready to give in on that one yet since it's way out of any kind of warranty. Other ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Anyone have any other ideas? - odometer works, speedo doesn't. Autometer lite, mechanical setup.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Not sure of the details of the Autometer mechanical speedo, but I'll bet it's like all the others. Basically the cable drive comes into the speedo housing and through a mechanical gear drive drives the odometer. The speedo needle itself is driven by a magnetic coupling working against a very light hairspring return. The faster the drive plate (connected to the cable)turns the further the needle moves. There is not really a lot that can go bad on a new unit, but it does not take much resistance to prevent the needle from moving. So, if the gauges have been sitting around for a while, it may be "stuck" and need a little coaxing.
Another possibility especially if you're using the backwards cobra speedo is that it's being driven the wrong way and the needle is "pegged" on "0" and the odometer is working but counting down instead of up.

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tapped on the glass today after removing the cable one more time and reinstalling it. Wa-la,
it worked on the drive today. I have a feeling after sitting in the box for a year and a half, it needed just a little more "coaxing." Thanks for the help folks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts