Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.K., I've typed and clicked for an hour and can't find any info on mile check areas.

Does anyone know of a map or list of sections of highway marked out to check (or set, in the case of a new electric) speedometers?

We used to have them in California, pretty much all over the place, but they seem to have disappeared without trace! There would be a sign on the highway shoulder saying "Mile Check Ahead," followed by signs reading "Begin Mile Check," "Mile 1," "Mile 2," etc.

To set up a new electric speedometer, you need to have a marked two mile section of road, but how are you supposed to find or mark one? I figure you need to be pretty accurate, or they would not have specified such a long distance.

Thanks!

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,175 Posts
Use Google Earth and plot out a driving route from your driveway of exactly two miles. It can have turns/stops, so you can just drive through a neighborhood or down to the corner market, as long as the distance is right. Then setup your speedo to calibrate mode in your driveway and drive the route you mapped out. When you get to your end point stop and finish the calibration procedure. I've done this so many times on various speedos that I know exactly where to drive to from my house.

HTH...
Mark

·
Not a waxer
12,092 Posts
Have your wife or a friend lead you in their vehicle; pull over at a safe spot, start the speedo calibration process and zero their trip odometer. Have them drive exactly two miles while you follow then pull over and stop. Close the calibration mode and you're done! It will be as accurate as the reference vehicle.

Jeff

·
Registered
850 Posts
Use GPS app in your android or Iphone.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Doesn't every interstate have mile markers (in fact every 10th mile)? Route 280 must have them.

·
6,279 Posts
I used the closely-spaced guardrail uprights for best accuracy. I think my math may have been off as this was the only way to get the speedo to read correctly.

·
7,201 Posts
On n/b and w/b freeways and state highways you will see large white stripes that extend across the shoulder from the roadway edgeline (fog line) to the pavement edge. Those are placed by Cal-Trans and are used by the CHP aircraft for speed enforcement. They are 1-mile apart. If you don't have them in your area, use the paddle markers that are on all freeways and state highways. For example, in Los Angeles County the marker will have LA at the top, 5 in the middle and 15.00 (Los Angeles, I-5, mile 15) You can use those as they are also surveyed. 65-seconds per mile is 55 mph, 60 is 60 and 55 seconds is 65 mph.

Iphones have a GPS function that I used to verify my calibration after timing myself.

Ray

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks, guys-- I used the trip odo on my DD and set a local course. I'd also forgotten that the Sunset District along Great Highway is right around two miles. Sorry, no GPS on my flip phone!

Now if I can only get a signal from the VSS to the speedo...

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I used the closely-spaced guardrail uprights for best accuracy. I think my math may have been off as this was the only way to get the speedo to read correctly.

Dang it Todd - just when I was happy with the look of my car you post a pic of those beautiful wheels. Are you getting any tire rub?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.