Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad took the car for a spin and the speedo stopped working on him. I pulled the cable from the tranny & the guage and the cable was still spinning as 1 piece. Is there a chance the guage is fualty? It is an autometer phantom guage.

Any ideas? Thanks.

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
There is a chance, yes. I broke one late in the build by dropping it on the floor!

You can make the speedo spin by inserting the cable in the back of it and spinning the other end of the cable. Obviously make sure you have a good connection at the speedo end. You can also try a square pin in the speedo itself. They register about 10-20 mph with not too much effort.

·
Charter Member
104 Posts
I have the stock gauges, so this might not apply, but I was messing around with wires behind the dash and while I was doing this the cable pulled part way out of the speedo and it stopped working. If you have it disconnected at the tranny spin it and see if the speedo moves some. If not I would look under your dash to see if the cable needs to seat further in the speedo. Good luck

·
Charter Member
3,486 Posts
Hook up the cable to the tranny and go for a ride does the cable spin? If it doesn't it is probably the drive gear in the tranny. I'm going to have to pull my trans to fix my drive gear after 7,000 miles :(

If you cable is spinning investigate how the cable is attached to the speedo.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
888 Posts
Lately when I first start out the speedo needle just lays there but the odometer works correctly. If I give a sharp rap to the bottom of the dash the needle springs into action! No idea why it's late starting but I can live with it. Bob

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I pulled the cable from the speedo and rolled the car, it did not spin. Do I really need to drive it to see the movement?

·
Charter Member
3,486 Posts
I bet you rolled the car in neutral which may not get the cable spinning.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tried nuetral & in 1st gear, with no action.

What do you mean by drive gear in the tranny, is that the plastic gear on the end of the speedo cable, or do I need to pull apart the tranny?

·
Charter Member
3,486 Posts
Puddy,
There are two gears, the one at the end of the cable (driven gear) that goes into the trans and then there is a larger pastic gear about 2" in diameter in the tranny this is the drive gear.

The drive gear is held on a shaft with some sort of clip. I replaced my drive gear during the build stage but don't remember putting in a new clip well after 7,000 miles my speedo stopped working and to get to the part requires pulling the trans which will be a winter project for me. I tried with a drop light and mirror to look into the hole where the cable goes in, you may be able to determine whether the drive gear is there and functional. I couldn't on mine. It either exploded or has slipped down the shaft it's installed on because of a dislogded clip.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I pulled the cable from the guage and drove down the drive way and the internal shaft was spinning. Could this point to a faulty guage? Could the speedo drive gear be stripped but there is still enough friction to turn the shaft at low speeds but not enough to operate the guage?
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I pulled the speed sensor and cable out of the tranny and I could turn the speedo using the end of the cable, so I guess I have to pull the tranny to fix the internal drive gear? Or just get used to not having a speedo for a while.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.