Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a new 87-92 speedo cable for my autometer speedo (non-vintage). The female metal casing end of the speedo cable fits over the threaded male end of the gauge. The cable actively engages the gear that drives the needle on the gauge however, it seems I am missing an attachment that will bind the cable to the gauge. Am I missing a piece? There also seems to a good amount of free play between the female end of the cable and male end of the gauge.

Help!

·
8,356 Posts
Tony, not sure about the newer kits, but in '04 the manual told us to remove some of the casing to ensure "engagement" and to use a hose clamp to secure it. Has worked fine for me. Could try a bit of silicone in the annular space between the casing and the threaded male piece for a little insurance, but I've yet to hear anyone say they've had an issue with just the clamp. Love your "sound system".

·
new
214 Posts
Tony I,m running the vintage guage set and mine came with a brass adapter that conected to the guage with a little piece of square cable to make the conection between the guage and adapter. The cable than hooks to the adapter. This adapter allows for the change to revers rotation of the vintage guage.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Is the cable inserted backward in the casing?

·
Banned
7,701 Posts
I have the Autometer Ultralites, and used a Pioneer CA3015 speedo cable. Screws right into the back of the Autometer speedo.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Tony I had to cut about 1/8-1/4" off the metal sleeve of the speedo cable. Cut a slot in one side of the sleeve than hold it on the speedo with a small hose clamp. There were instructions that gave the amount to remove from the sleeve. I could send them if you need?

·
Senior Charter Member
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hind Sight -

I just sent you a PM.

Thanks.

·
Junior Charter Member
849 Posts
Originally posted by Hind Sight:
Tony I had to cut about 1/8-1/4" off the metal sleeve of the speedo cable. Cut a slot in one side of the sleeve than hold it on the speedo with a small hose clamp. There were instructions that gave the amount to remove from the sleeve. I could send them if you need?
I just purchased a built (used) FFR MKII - I have the same issue.

I cannot find this page in the build manual. Could you please post the amount to shave off the housing? Or the page it's on.

I also left the key in the "run" position for two days while I was out of town, so my battery is now dead :mad:

Also, what is the best way to cut that housing? Pipe cutter? :confused:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts