Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever tried speed sensitive steering?

There's been so much talk about power steering vs manual, that this might be a great solution. From the very limitted research I've started, the Taurus SHO's had speed sensitive steering starting in 93. I believe Ford uses an electric solonoid to control a bypass valve (I'd invision similar to a Heidt's type valve). They take an electronic speed signal (which I have with my Classic Gauges), to a computer (in addition to a simple sender mounted to your steering column that determines how fast you're turning the wheel). That may be the problem, if it's the main computer for the whole car, you may be out of luck. But if it has it's own module, it may be do able.

Just curious if anyone else has given this some thought? I had it on my 92 240sx and loved it.

·
Cobra Builder/Driver
253 Posts
GM has this on some of their cars too. I think it is called Magnasteer(?) I had a 1998 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP with it. Very nice. Boosted in the parking lot/low speeds and no boost on the highway. It was harder to steer at speed than my Manual steer Cobra with a Flaming River Rack.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,253 Posts
Hey Duane, give me a call 210-366-0317
Ryan

·
FFCobra Craftsman
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ryan, I'll be home in an hour and will call.

P.S. I was out all evening trying to rescue my car from it's flat, hence I couldn't call you back then.

[ November 14, 2002, 06:27 PM: Message edited by: Venomous ]

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,253 Posts
No problem...I just hate to keep bothering you...

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,510 Posts
I'd be leary with alot of separate components trying to work together. I had a problem with my last XJR where the bipass valve would flutter at speeds over 100 and occasionally cause dramatic changes in steering responce when you need it most.After many trips to the dealer they finally attribitued it to a defective reliese valve and faulty transmission sensor. Now granted this was on an English car but they are pretty good now and my new one hasn't had a problem yet but it is a different way to get your seat wet when it isn't raining. :eek:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Seems to me that this is a step in the wrong direction... The charm of the FFR Roadster is that it is elemental and simple, devoid of the computerized "hands-off" complexity of modern cars.

If you put in too much electronic junk, you'll end up with a Miata. ;)

·
Senior Charter Member
564 Posts
I try it all of the time. The faster i drive the more sensitive I am to how much I steer!

;)

Actually, I would be very suprised if you can find a unit which will both fit and not cost you an arm and a leg. And how often do you plan on driving your Cobra slow???

·
Just Glad to be here - back to working on the car
1,633 Posts
The more moving parts there are the more often something breaks.

Ever hear of MTBF analysis, what it boils down to is the "probable" failure interval of the least reliable part divided by the cube root of the total number of parts, that is the most likely time interval between things breaking. Mthe more moving parts you have the shorter that time is.

Go to the "Y" and do some curls three times a week, and like the man said the faster you go the mre sensitive you need to be about the steering.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts