Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to start the donor tear-down but before I take it off the road, I thought I would ask everyone how the plugs look. I replaced the plugs a few months ago and took the following pictures of the ones that were in it. To me, all were pretty uniform except perhaps #8 which seemed more "black" than the rest. Anything to be worried about here or should I just tear it apart??? The first photo has the plugs in order the other ones are random.

Thanks in advance.

-Jon A.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Aside from being worn out not bad.What does the new #8 plug look like now that is has been replaced and run in the motor? #8 being blacker then the other could be the result of a bad plug wire,worn valve seals,ect. Plug wires can be checked with a ohm meter to eliminate that as a cause. Without looking at the valve seals a hint as to them being the cause would be after shutting off a warm motor,wait an hour then restart. If noticing a puff of blue smoke from the exaust,that would point to worn seals. Easy to replace with spring compressor and air. Do a compression check before tear down,it will tell if other problems (rings) are contaiminating the plug.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Hind Sight. When I pull the motor, I will post pics of the new spark-plugs for comparison purposes.

Jon

·
Senior Charter Member
372 Posts
Jon,

If you were in Kalifornia, I would suggest doing what I did: get a smog test. In CA, they put the car on a dyno and stick a probe in the exhaust. The CA test tells a lot about the overall condition of your engine. I won't go through all the details of the test, but my donor passed with flying colors, and was as clean or cleaner than a new car! That just won't happen with leaky valves or seals, or worn rings. Since there are no oil leaks, not even from the OEM valve covers, I'm not going to touch it, it runs great as it is. My plugs did look a bit better than yours (before I replaced them with double platinum Autolites), but the previous owner took very good care of the car, until it got rear-ended and he stopped driving it.

I'd do a compression check, and a leakdown test, then decide how (and if) I was going to proceed from there. If the tests are good, you may be good to go "as is".

Good Luck,

Video

1 - 5 of 5 Posts