Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My engine runs fine, but I need to replace the plug wires from the ones that came on it. One of the wires is damaged (in shipping?) and another one is messed up inside the the plug boot, doesn't seat completely, and the boot touches the header (and is melting a little bit).

I'm running a '93 5.0 EFI, with the FFR 4-into-4 headers.

Looking @ Summit, I see sets ranging from $19 to $180, quite a range. I don't want to go cheap, but don't want to over-buy either.
I'm thinking I want 45* boots and probably 8.5mm(?)
Any other characteristics I should consider?
What's a good brand, or better yet, what to avoid?

A product# or link would be a big help.

Thanks

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,823 Posts
Go to Autozone and get a set of Bosche replacement 5.0 wires. They work the best I have found.

·
Premium Member
18,252 Posts
I'v tried a variety of parts. I get the best performance with and MSD universal set, with adjustable boots. I can make the wires to the length I want, so I can run them the way I want. And the boot ends are adjustable, so they always fit around the headers correctly. I'v never had a failure.

They're not cheap, though. I learned a long time ago that I can't afford cheap parts.

·
Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
When I first started building my car, I was recommended the Taylor product by several experienced builders. Glad I followed that advice.

Taylor makes a set specifically for your engine, (and with angled boots ). They are good quality, silicone boots so they won't burn, and are generally in the price range starting around $90. They are usually 8.2 mm. for a standard set.
They also have HI-PO sets as well for your engine, with additional features, but they can run $200+ for them.

Taylor Cable Products - Spark Plug Wire Sets, Ignition Wires, Distributor Components, Boot & Heat Protection, Battery Products

Use a plug wire loom holder, to keep them looking neat, and off of the headers.

·
Not a waxer
12,092 Posts
After Ford Racing wires shot craps in less than 4,000 miles I switched to a set of 8MM Taylor silicone Spiro Pro with 45 degree (or 135 degree---tomAto, tomAHto ;)) boots. 10,000+ trouble free miles so far.

Jeff

·
section 8
5,135 Posts
I use the Belden premium wires from Napa they fit without cutting , fit in the stock looms . and are 8mm PLUS lifetime warranty . 5years on the FFR 7 years on the Lightning. On the FFR I also used the DEI boot protectors. Bob

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
I too went with Taylor wires, based on multiple recommendations, custom cut for my setup. So far, so good (1800 miles). I sprung for the Taylor crimper ($70 - 80, as I recall) but a one-time expense and now I can always get them just right. Came in handy when I switched cams and went from the standard 302 to 351/HO firing order.

·
Snake Farmer
10,396 Posts
Those should do the trick just fine.
The Taylor set I bought, came with the added bonus of two different length coil leads. This allows one to use the coil mounted on the fender well, or one mounted on the engine. Might want to check on that aspect.

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,175 Posts
Using Mallory on the Roadster, no issues. Have MSD StreetFire on the daily driver Mustang, also no issues. The StreetFires are pre-terminated and fit a little loose (routing wise). The Mallory wires I purposely got the un-terminated end kit and routed and cut to length for a nice clean finished look.

If you want to take the extra time, cut to fit will always look better, but can be a pain for some.

HTH...
Mark

·
FFCobra Craftsman
25,959 Posts
I got Summit brands wires.
SUM-888901
They have 45 deg plug ends and the correct ends for the distributer. i had a little trouble understanding the nomenclature for the dist. ends so research that carefully. mine are too long but otherwise fit perfectly especially at the plug end.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.