Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Senior Charter Member
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy all. I was just curious on how to fine tune plug gap. Im running a '69 351W with around 10.5 CR, MSD ignition, autolite platinum plugs, and Trick Flow aluminum heads (twisted wedge) with a 280H comp cam. I hear .050 is a good starting point...so where do I go from here? ALSO, which way does the spark plug gasket go onto a non-tapered seat plug: smaller end on the plug or to the cylinder head? Thanks,
Alex

[ December 16, 2002, 03:29 PM: Message edited by: fiveliter8 ]

·
Rapscallion
1,969 Posts
from the MSD site

Spark Plugs: Choosing the correct spark plug design and heat range is important when trying to get the best performance possible. Since there are so many engine combinations and manufacturers, MSD does not recommend which plug or gap is exactly right for your application. It is recommended to follow the engine builder or manufacturer’s specification for spark plugs. With that, you can then experiment with the plug gap to obtain the best performance. The gap of the plugs can be opened in 0.005" increments, then tested until the best performance is obtained. MSD judges the plug gap by compression and components.

These examples are just starting points to get you going in the right direction. Every application is different and should be tested and tuned.

Roscoe

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,975 Posts
If its in a blown application, close it up by 10/1000's. Got to remember, when you're in boost the spark is crossing thicker atmosphere.

Frank.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts