Factory Five Racing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone carry a spare tire in their Cobra? If so, where did it some from and what have you used to fasten it down? I've never been concerned about it, but recently had a flat in my truck, and now I have the thought in the back of my head of being stranded... I thought about getting one out of a wrecked Mustang, but still not sure how to fasten it down...

·
Charter Member
203 Posts
No Spare Tire.
Repair kit, Fix-A-Flat, cell phone, and credit card.
Even if you have a spare, where are you going to put the monster sized rear tire once you replace it with the spare.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,257 Posts
I have one of the aluminum skinny wheels with a temporary spare on it. I put it at the front of the trunk and tie it in with bunji cords. I find that it stays put best when I fill the trunk with other crap like extra sweatshirts, bags with stuff etc. On occation I even carry a jack....but it won't fit under the car anyways, so I'm not sure why I do....

·
2,860 Posts
I have the following:

</font>
  • 1. Sissor jack from Honda CR-V</font>
  • 2. Two cans of Fix-a-Flat.</font>
  • 3. Tire repair kit...good one.</font>
  • 4. Breaker bar with correct socket.</font>
  • 5. Cell Phone.</font>
  • 6. Trailer. :D</font>

This year I will also have a spare tire at home; I could call someone at home to bring it to me. Question (not to steal the thread): are the quick jack mounts strong enough to winch the car onto a car hauler by a BOZO? I often see the Spec racers use a loop in liew of the quick jack for this purpose. Reinforcement needed? Thanks

P.S. 3000 miles without use...so far!

[ January 04, 2007, 07:22 PM: Message edited by: Mumblerone ]

·
Master Paint Chipper
1,374 Posts
Good point HISS. I've often thought about getting a small spare for the cobra, but never thought about what I'd do with the flat tire. NO WAY would a rear tire fit in the boot, maybe a front wheel, but I doubt it!

Matt

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,767 Posts
Will a trunk rack hold the weight of a flat tire? Sounds like a plan if you carry a skinny spare in the trunk....My experiences with the tire repair gunk have not been good. OK for a slow flat but it doesnt help if the tire blows out or comes aay from the rim.
Steve

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,767 Posts
Here is another thought. Perhapd DWC or someone can come up with a collapsible tire/wheel support that will fit over the trunk lid or even over the trunk lip allowing the lid to close over it. The support could be stored in the trunk with a wheel wrench....

·
FFR Craftsman
5,834 Posts
As soon as I made my initial registration visit to the DMV and got my plates, I immed. went to PepBoys (or Kragens) and bought a CSAA kit which included a few things for road-side emergency like a reflective triangle, duct tape, jumper cables, bandages, latex glove, etc.

I added:

Tire Plug kit
Portable inflator pump
Fuses
Lug nut key

I'll probably get a flash light later (a wind up one). Orinially, I was going to get a scissor jack and lug wrench but then thought about the plug kit and got that and the inflator instead. I guess I should try the inflator to ensure it works!

I've used a plug kit once and the tire held for like 8,000 miles before I swapped it out but by then, the tire was showing steel belt!

·
Senior Charter Member
6,104 Posts
Lots of us carry space saver spares. I bolt mine down to the floor. I also found a low profile jack in a van (Chevy?). Plus, I carry a long cable lock so I could lock the big tire to a tree or telephone pole until I come back to get it. I also carry a 12" x 12" x2" piece of wood to drive the flat onto so the frame will be high enough to get a jack under.

Think about some of the following things.

First, even if you call a tow truck what good is it going to do you? Many of them will not be able to flat bed or tow you because the car sits so low.

Second, many of my miles are cruising with others and invariably there is someone in the crowd who does not have a Cobra yet. They could carry the large tire.

Third, heck I could throw the wife out and put the big tire in her seat. I am sure she would not mind standing by the side of the road for an hour or two until I come back for her. Heck, maybe I should chain her to the tree so someone doesn't steal her.

·
Junior Charter Member
900 Posts
Well, you could use a small spare. Todays tires don't seem to last as long as the old ones did on a blow out, the sides just destroy themselves before you can get to the side of the road. SO with that in mind,,bring a small spare, small jack,wrenches and a utility knife. The utility knife is to cut the shattered tire off the rim. Put the rim in the pass. seat or have the pass hold it ......vwalla..homeward bound..steve

·
The Traveler
3,106 Posts
On a trip I carry, like Jack, an aluminum spare, I recently found that WalMart is selling a jack that has 3" clearance in a nice carrying case. But I have, in a duffle bag, the smaller version of HarborFreight's aluminum jack. The handle is in 2 pieces so it fits nicely in a duffle bag.

Around town a cell phone with my local tow company on speed dial. I actually had to call them 4 weeks ago. When I called to tell them my name, where I was, and started to tell them what the car looked like, it was, "OH! We know who you are!" "We'll send the flatbed for the car, not to worry as we'll even bring some wooden ramps to make sure the car clears the bed!"

15 minutes and they were there loading the car on the flad bed. I have a rider on the auto insurance for towing, they paid in full! (State Farm)

oh... so you want to know what FINALLY stopped me..........
:D

Fuel pump relay!! I now carry a spare!

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
Small 12 volt air compressor and a tire plug kit, along with tire sealer. Figure if I get a nail or similar in the tire a slow leak can be handled with the tire sealer and air pump to get home. A larger puncture can be repaired with the plug kit then filled with air to make the trip home. Course cell phone is always on hand.

·
Registered
374 Posts
53,000 miles without a spare. How often do modern tires go flat???? Flat fix, a cell phone and a AAA card are all you need.
Harvey R.

·
Junior Charter Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks guys! Wow, even a response from the traveler...now that's some valuable advice! Some of you mentioned a 12v air compressor. I have one of those, but not a 12v outlet in my cobra. Where do you guys have one of these?

·
Senior Charter Member
1,218 Posts
Don't waste your money on the fix a flat stuff. Never have seen it work yet in my tire service business. All it does is make a mess of the tire technicians equipment and machine. I charge more to repair a tire for someone who has put it in. A cell phone and someone with a truck that can bring you a spare and carry your flat on back.

·
Going nowhere fast.
19,728 Posts
Where do you put the massive rear tire?

How about a hidden receiver (use search here) and fab a simple curved bar to hold a tire?

Mike

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.