Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wanting to do this for a long time. I picked up a Mustang temporary spare on E-bay and installed it using a long bolt through the trunk support tube. I put all of my tools in my trunk addition below the floor and covered it with carpet on peg board (for flexibility in removal). Clean appearance and lots of room for other stuff.

·
Junior Charter Member
3,131 Posts
Now the big question. If you have a flat, how are you going to get a jack under it...you do have a jack?

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pete,

I have a jack in my hidden compartment. I'll have to get a shovel to dig a hole for the jack if I get a flat.

·
Junior Charter Member
3,131 Posts
Ah, the old Army Entrenching Tool, also used to dig foxholes and Cobra holes. Pete

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
1,524 Posts
You might look at the Mini Cooper jack. It is very low profile. My wife's Mini came with a jack but no spare.

Todd

·
Senior Charter Member
6,800 Posts
Another source for a low jack is one from a second generation RX-7. I don't know if the other versions has the same thing but the one in my wife's old car was a quite low scissor screw jack made of aluminum.

·
New
183 Posts
Low? I also have a lowered C5 whose frame is down there with the snakes. To me, the frame on a Cobra looks like a pickup truck. First, I have to drive the wheel up on a 2X10, then use one of those Chinese aluminum "racing"jacks.I've "lowered" it by using a smaller diameter roller in front and making a thinner lifting pad. I don't know what I'd do if the tire went flat. Mercedes and BMW both supply jacks that really get down to the ground to lift. They use a screw that is angled back from vertical and an arm at the bottom to reach in to the frame.

·
Premium Member
6,413 Posts
I also have the mini-tire from the donor, in my trunk...I went to the junk yard, and found a scissor jack that will fit under the rear frame cross member ($10)...I hope I never need it!

·
FFCobra Craftsman
24,732 Posts
So what is the diameter of that spare? Just curious how close it is to typical tires.

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts

·
Charter Member
186 Posts
NAGA,

I have a cardboard box in my trunk with a prepaid UPS sticker on it and ship the tire to myself.

Wild Bill

·
FFCOBRA MASTERCRAFTSMAN 5626
3,860 Posts
How about one of those balloon type jacks. Made of rubber, slip it under the car and air it up with your portable mini compressor. Anyone know where to get one? Has it been invented yet??

·
Premium Member
18,585 Posts

·
Charter Member
186 Posts
Don,

I call AAA and wait for them to come to pickup the tire. The repair shop is instructed to contact UPS to pickup the tire and ship it to me.

Bill

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Donald,

One guy a couple of months ago said that he keeps a chain or cable in the trunk and that he would just chain the flat tire to a tree off the road and out of sight then pick it up later. Most of my driving will be in a 50 mile radius so this approach would work for me. I just need a can of neon marker paint for the tree!

·
Premium Member
16,561 Posts
I wonder if you could design a harness that would let you mount the flat tire on the back of the roll bar(s). Yes, it would look stupid but it would get you home or to a repair station. Wouldn't take any space when not in use. Most of the temp spare are rated to a lower speed so I don't know if I was any distance from home if I would want to ship it back as opposed to repairing it. Hey Herb, you listening??

Cheers, Rod

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Will the mini spare clear the bigger brakes you added during the build? What kind of ground clearance would you have with the mini spare? I'm not sure you could limp the car home on one of those even if you wanted to.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts