Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Master Air Guitarist...
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Considering a complete, new engine as opposed to donor. For example, the Engine Factory 302/373 HP ("complete and ready to bolt in")

Any feedback, pros/cons, or other info that you would give?

I like the idea of building/rebuilding one myself...but I have a bad habit of getting in over my head, and NEVER getting it done

As always, thanks for the input.

·
Junior Charter Member
139 Posts
I have over 16,000 miles on my Engine Factory 373HP 302. I replaced the Edelbrock carb with a Holley 670 Street Avenger. It dynoed 310 HP at the wheels.

·
Premium Member
7,018 Posts
A lot of good sources for engines, Engine Factory is one. Don't forget Max at Five Star Ford (forum supporter). He will give you a good deal on a Ford Racing crate engine.

·
Master Air Guitarist...
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jim F - What made you change the carb? I'm wondering if it was for more power or if the existing one was giving you issues?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
Originally posted by 5150:
I like the idea of building/rebuilding one myself...but I have a bad habit of getting in over my head, and NEVER getting it done
I think you answered your own question. If it is in you budget, I'd get a new engine. More expensive, yes; quicker to build and less reliability concerns, yes.

·
Junior Charter Member
139 Posts
The Edelbrock had a rough spot right off idle. Not a dead spot, just did not run right whenever the pedal was slightly depressed. I changed springs and needles but it did not help. Also a problem with stalling on quick stops and sharp turns that I could not adjust out with float level no matter how much I tried. The Holley works great all the time.

·
Premium Member
18,134 Posts
One of the big considerations for most of us is cost. If you do the math, you find that in most cases it's cheaper to buy a good crate motor than to rebuild an old one. By the time you add in machine work, small assorted parts, shipping, gas to run back and forth 15 times, etc. You save money by just picking up the phone.

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
The Engine Factory offered me absolutely superb personalized service, answered all my questions and delivered a super product on-time and as-promised. Chris is a really nice guy. The engine dropped right in, fired up on the first start attempt after sitting on the pallet in my garage for 4 months after delivery. Looks great, too.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Hey Jim, Sorry to hijack the thread but were there any performance gains from swapping carbs. Besides fixing the two problems. My edelbrock does the same thing and wondered how much a swap would help. Thx, Chad

·
Charter Member
2,035 Posts
Give Mike Forte a call and talk with him about your needs and budget. He helped me out a lot and I ran up there with my SUV to pick it up.

·
Junior Charter Member
139 Posts
rbordner, I did not dyno the car with the Edelbrock. The Edelbrock is a 750 cfm, the Holley is a 670 cfm. I suspect the Edelbrock may have had a bit more power up top. No real seat of the pants difference.

·
Registered
4,177 Posts
I have that exact engine in my FFR #4408 . It's a crate engine and it does the job quite nicely

·
Registered
571 Posts
Thanks Jim

·
Registered
3,404 Posts
Well... I have a stout 306 now but I already wish I had spent a little more money for more cubes. My next engine will be a 408 (punched 351) with polished stack injection. More than likely I will order from someone who knows Cobras (Gordon Levy, Mike Forte, etc).

·
Charter Member
3,060 Posts
Engine Factory 393W stroker. Full polish. Branda polished valve covers and air cleaner. SS Flex line wherever I could, March polished pulleys and brackets.

Forte TKO 600 with Pro 5.0 midshift

Engine Factory - I speced out the complete engine build up, worked out a price with them, and it came out great. '93 style PS pump, '04 hydraboost and PS rack. Love the PS and PB.

Branda Cobra stuff - had the valve covers polished - great. Air cleaner sufficates the engine. Have switched to an Endlebrock foam filter for everyday driving.

TKO 600 with mid-shift - now that all the little nags are worked out with the trans - good. Love the mid shift.

302 v. 351 v. stroker v. big block - 393W is a good bridge motor between the small blocks and big block motors. Potentially, the best overall. Happy with choice. Really good performance and I can still get somewhat good gas mileage - 17 best so far - low gearing doesn't help; 3 grand at 80 mph!

Forte, Levy, Max at 5 Star, Keith Kraft, DSS, Coast High - all pretty good options too.

Personally, I stay away from non-production engines from Ford Racing. They are job sourced to local builders - some good, some not so good.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,837 Posts
Engine Factory here too. The Edelbrock it came with was way too big (800cfm) and overall not so great, replaced with a Demon 650, way better.

·
15,282 Posts
Wow...thread resurrection!

Cheers, John

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,120 Posts
My vote… Keith Craft..great people to work with...my 408w is a beast!!!!!!!!!!

·
Junior Charter Member
1,506 Posts
My Engine Factory 351 is great. I went with the upper end setup with the higher compression ratio and forged pistons.The first Engine I got from them was damaged by the shipper. Engine Factory had it picked up, repaired and back at my door in 3 weeks and I am in AZ. They were great to deal with and the engine has been great.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts