Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for stainless spacers to install between the tie rod end and the spindle arm. I have tried Mcmaster Carr. They don't have the size I'm looking for.

L - 1.5 inches
Round Spacer - OD 3/4inch. ID - 1/2 inch

Anyone know where I can find this size. Even withe various lengths I'm having trouble finding the OD and ID that I need.

Also, can I use aluminum for this application?

As always, thanks for your help.

PS, this changed the front geometry after swapping out the lower control arms. I had the fox mustang and replaced them with FFR lower control arms with rod ends.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
1. Just go to a metal supply and get a foot of 1/2" seamless pipe. CrMo if you want, and cut to desired length. Might cost a couple of dollars.

2. Wouldn't lowering the rack require the need for even longer spacers? It would on my car.

·
Junior Charter Member
2,071 Posts
Spacer?

Todd:

Here is a source for spacers of all lengths and sizes. Also every kind of chassis component you can think of. The web site sucks but they have a catalog that is really a bible of things chassis and frame. You can safely stack shorter spacers to gain the length you need, but they need to be steel.

Spacer Bushings

A steel tubing supply house can usually supply thick wall tube that you can cut to length. I'm very surprised that it takes a spacer 1-1/2 inches long to get the bump steer correct. That puts a hell of a twisting moment on the steering arm with that big a lever acting on it. That effectively makes your steering arm a short torsion bar and I think it will cause your steering to be kind of vague because of the twisting in the arm. It might even be enough twisting to break the arm. :sad:

I would consider moving your rack up or down to be closer to the plane of the steering arm to reduce the length of spacer needed or move the outer tie rod to the other side of the arm. I think a max of about 1/2 or 5/8 of spacer is what I would feel comfortable with if it was my car.

Ron

·
Junior Charter Member
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Spacers

Thanks for the replies.

I will stick with steel then.

The manual rack is on offset bushings bought from Forte a few years ago. The rack is in the "up" position. If I lower it, then I'll need even longer bushings.

In addition to the position of the rack, I have 1/2" spacers between the spindle arm and the rod end. The tie rod end is not quite parallel to the LCA when the car is on the ground (not suspended). I thought this was a crude method to eliminate bump steer without using a gauge to measure it. if 1.5" spacers are too long, would 1" be maximum length you would go with?

I'll post some pics shortly that may help in visualizing where I am with this.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
I have been thinking about this and trying to picture it in my mind. I have a few questions, what spindles do you have, SN 95 straight leg or dog leg? What are your caster settings, caster changes affect bumpsteer measurements a ton? I'm running the straight leg spindles on my car with which has the SAI mod and the FFR bumpsteer kit mounted on top of the drilled spindle arm and had to add about 3 washers on top of the arm to bring bumpsteer to acceptable levels.
HTH
CB

·
Junior Charter Member
912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
CB, I have Fox Spindles.

These may not be good pics. I'll add more later. Perhaps hold up a ruler near the LCA pivot point and near the ball joint of the LCA and see the relationship with the tie rod end.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.