Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i am interested in building a Factory five roadster, i have the necessary funds b ut there is only one thing holding me back and that is the concern that there will not be enough room in the car for me. I am about 6'3 and 185 poinds. Its not the width that scares me, just the height. Any thoughts? will i have enough room? are ther any mods i can make if i dont?

·
Mid Ohio Loopster
1,980 Posts
I'm 6'3", 255lbs. I fit into mine good.

Scott

·
Premium Member
18,090 Posts
6'4" 200# and size 13 shoes. Everything fits fine with a 14" steering wheel and racing shoes on. Getting the pedal spacing correct makes a big difference.

·
Registered
272 Posts
while i didnt sit in the drivers seat, i did take many rides in cobras at the DVSF. the passenger seat was a little tight for me (6'1" 180lb, size 13) now i dont know about the drivers side, can someone elaborate? but what i did notice was that the size was about the same on all kit types except the Classics which have the extended door (is that right?)

-Jim

·
FFCobra Fanatic
3,751 Posts
6' 4" 195, with a little tweaks here and there, no problem. I fell in love with a BB Contemporary that I just could not make work.

·
Premium Member
14,690 Posts
If you have the tools you can modify the frame to accept almost any size person...
Armond at California Cobras modified a Factory Five Frame for a very tall customer, I think he's like 6'11" or 7'1" somewhere around there. I sat in that car and I reached the pedals, but it looked like I was driving in a lowrider position....
his wife is like 5'6" so she's not going to be able to drive it....
:D

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'm 6 feet and barely fit comfortably into mine. Remember, this is mostly due to using the vintage racer leather seats. I would recommend that you NOT buy the vintage racer leather. They are VERY reclined and move your butt closer to the pedals losing precious leg room. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I'm not quite as tall as Randy, I'm 6'3" and 235 lbs with 36" arms and size 12 shoes. With some pedal modifications and a 20 degree layback seat I fit into my Spec Racer pretty well. However, most of my height is from the waist up and that puts me almost level with the top of the roll bar with my helmet on. :(

It's tight fit but I can comfortably drive the car.

Regards,

Terry

·
Charter Member
1,776 Posts
There are a number of mods that you can do that really help. I'm about 6'2" and 220. After removing the diagonal brace in the driver's footbox, and moving the brake, accelerator, and clutch pedals as far forward as possible, I've got plenty of room. A quick disconnect steering wheel will help lots also. Best thing to do is try to fins someone around you and sit in the car.
Raul

·
Charter Member
3,487 Posts
This is a sports car please don't compare it with your daily driver. Most of us enjoy more space on our daily commute.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I don't know how you tall guys do it. I'm 5'10 and about 165 lbs. I fit great into the cobra. My 6'3 200lb father-in-law came over the other day and sat in the drivers side of the car (I'd just finished all the sheetmetal install on the drivers side).

Even without the seats in the car, he didn't think he'd be able to drive it. His knees where hitting the bottom of the dash panel, the steering wheel seemed way too close, etc. It was comical watching him try to get out of it too! :D

If you're tall, I recommend sitting in one before buying one. Everyone has a different threshold when it comes to comfort and drivability. I'm glad I'm ony 5'10

Jeff

·
Junior Charter Member
614 Posts
Originally posted by FFCars4Me:
If you have the tools you can modify the frame to accept almost any size person...
Armond at California Cobras modified a Factory Five Frame for a very tall customer, I think he's like 6'11" or 7'1" somewhere around there. I sat in that car and I reached the pedals, but it looked like I was driving in a lowrider position....
his wife is like 5'6" so she's not going to be able to drive it....
:D
Do you know what they did to the frame to make the room? I am 6'7" 320 and trying to determine if I will be able to fit.

Dan460 what modifications did you make in order to fit?

Terry (falcon65), since you have yours back together can I come try sitting in it again?

Is there any one around Victoria that is 6'5" or taller? If there is can I come see your car and see if I fit, looking to by a FFR soon.

Thanks
Kurt

·
Mountain Snake
701 Posts
6'1" and 210 pounds 36" inseam with Cobra Clubman high back seats and the standard 15" steering wheel. I fit fine, plenty of space to move.

Stefan

·
7,134 Posts
Using Classic seats mounted on the floor (maybe a small tilt in front) and a thinner seat cushion, 6'5" is not a problem.

Putting the brake pedal and clutch as far back as possible helps too.

For ingress and egress having a removable steering wheel is also a big plus. Can also request the 14" wheel from FFR when ordering, only the experts will "see" the difference.

·
Senior Charter Member
4,275 Posts
I'm 6'-4" and fit just fine with the performer seats and 14" wheel. I would not say that I have alot of extra leg room, but it's not uncomfortable either. I did have to move the brake pedal back a bit, and if you ever plan on sitting in the passenger seat (or you have a tall riding partener) you really should extend the passenger footbox. It is quite comical watching me sit in the passenger seat with my knees up around my ears!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts