Factory Five Racing Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Any updates on this? I am considering this top as well (I have a street car with no rollbar). I spoke to the owner via email and he said zip-out rear window is also an option, which is something I really wanted. The price is super good but the shipping quote makes it a $2k investment.

Would love to see pics of your install and comments on the process and what you think of the product.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Jay I am also thinking of getting a top and do not like the looks of the whitby top. I am thinking of lowering the roll bar but how did you make the third leg fit after you cut the loop. Also does anyone have experience with the Europa top.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Guys,
The top fits my MK3. However I live in Maine so do to the cold I can not complete the fitting until spring. My garage is heated with a wood stove and I can't use contact cement with an open flame etc.

You can see from the photos that I have the front of the top clamped to the windshield. To complete the fitting I need to stretch and glue this section to the fiberglass bow that clamps to the windshield.

As I mentioned, Soft Tops has been the best vendor I have ever purchased anything from. He walked be through the fitting process and sent me tons of pics and video to help me.

I believe I am the first to fit a Soft Top to an FFR. Its not difficult, but you must follow the instructions precisely to get a tight smooth fit.

The only modifications are mounting plates for the main bow mounts to attach to the interior behind the seat and I put a spacer in the center of the rear bow to make it wider. You can see it in the pic. Also the mounting pin pattern must only be used as a reference. You need to fit the top to the car to determine the actual pin locations. And the big one: I lowered my roll bar as far as I could with out changing the mounting points. I cut off about 1.7 inches. This gave me about 1/2 inch of space between the top of the roll bar and the soft top.

I plan on finishing the fitting in the spring and driving it without paint this summer to make sure all is well before I paint the car.

Yes, its a $2,000 piece after shipping cost. I am very pleased with the top because it has a better shape then the others, the simplicity of the design, it fits in the trunk (boot), it comes with side curtains that zip on, it comes with heavy duty bags for the top and the side curtains, the material quality is excellent, Its quick to install and remove, and again Soft Tops is excellent to deal with. Hope this helps. I have tons of fitting pics if needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
really impressed with how good it looks. Also looks like you have done a great job of fitting it. You took off 1.7 " off the loop, how much did you have t take off the third leg? Also do you know if he fit will be any different for the MK 4 body.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I don't know how much I cut off the third leg to get it all to fit. I think I took off a little at a time and kept refitting until I got it right. I am talking to several MK4 owners that are considering the top. I do not know what the differences are in the MK4 that would change anything. There is a document on Soft Tops website that show the critical dimensions.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,382 Posts
Did you have to do fiberglass work where the third leg went through the body, or does it goes through in the same place even when the roll bar is shortened?

Thanks.

Wade

·
Registered
520 Posts
Jay-

I think that top looks terrific! It looks like it fits very well, in spite of not being finished.

I look forward to you getting some warm weather so you can wrap up the installation.

I appreciate you posting the details about this, it's very nice!

Regards,

Steve

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was on the fence for awhile trying to decide on the top for my car. Because of your pictures I have made up my mind to go with Soft Top Trimmers product. Probably will be my next project.

·
Premium Member
81 Posts
I installed Whitby top on my Factory Five a few years ago. I like the top and it has performed great. I bought a new Backdraft last summer and as a result of this thread ordered the top from Soft top trimmers. It’s on its way so I can’t comment on it yet. Looks like a well thought out top. Hopefully I made the right choice. I’ll post some pics as I install it if there’s an interest.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Driver_wt,

I had to open up the third leg hole a little, but the gasket and trim piece that goes around the opening covered everything. Hope this helps. I am still waiting to finish the top when it gets warmer up here in Maine.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Started the process.

So after seeing the pics that Jay put up I was convinced this top is the one I'm getting. But first things first. To get the roll bar to 450 mm (17.72") I need to lower my bar 2 5/16". I dropped the hoop and now I'm working on the brace tube. I cut the body opening, but still need to do a little tweaking on the angle. May have to modify and fabricate the base.

·
Registered
13 Posts
So after seeing the pics that Jay put up I was convinced this top is the one I'm getting. But first things first. To get the roll bar to 450 mm (17.72") I need to lower my bar 2 5/16". I dropped the hoop and now I'm working on the brace tube. I cut the body opening, but still need to do a little tweaking on the angle. May have to modify and fabricate the base.
I lowered my roll bar 1". I contacted David Corlett at SoftToppers. He calls out a max of 450mm for the rollbar height from top of door. Mine now measures 463mm. He said we were good to go since our factory roll bars sit a little farther forward and don't have a rear sweep.

·
Man Cave Master Craftsman
483 Posts
The top looks like great! hopefully it fits as well on a MK4, I'll wait to see how it fits once your finished but for now I'm putting it on my wait and see to do list for later this year.

Thanks for posting, I'll be keeping on eye out on this thread.

Saul

·
Registered
49 Posts
I should have called I guess, I'm now at 447mm. So I imagine lowering by 1" probably saved you quite a bit of fabricating. Unlike what I've gone thru in the past 2 days.

·
Man Cave Master Craftsman
483 Posts
Finished!
And what do you think? how is the fit and finish? how easy or difficult was it to install? inquiry minds want to know!

Saul

·
Registered
49 Posts
Level of difficulty

Jay from Jersey started the thread and detailed a bit of what he had done. The instructions, pictures and videos from Soft Top Trimmers are very detailed and Dave (the owner) is always quick to answer questions. The material is called German canvas and it is very robust and looks good installed. I did struggle with getting rid of the wrinkles, but that said I finally did work it out to my satisfaction. The fit and finish is really up to how much time you want to take checking and rechecking. All in all I'm very happy with the outcome.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Looks similar to my Whitby softop. Although I couldn't get all the wrinkles out of mine. Sure nice on a cold day though. Nice job. It looks great.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts