Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a good source for a good, reasonably priced crimper for electrical terminals?
I'm starting my dash wiring and would like to do something a little bit neater and closer to OEM than the smash type crimp most crimpers designed for solderless terminals do.
Everything I've found so far in the electronics catalogs is well over $100.
Anybody seen anything in the sub $50 range that will do a good job?
What's everybody else doing? I'd appreciate any ideas on the subject.
Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Vendor
8,399 Posts
Thomas & Betts make the best crimers, Kleil and MAC tools makea copy of them. They look like a U on one side and a matching stake on the other. They are at the shop or I would post a picture of them.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, Wayne.
The ones that Thomas & Betts has in their online catalog are nice looking but overkill for what I need, particularly price-wise I'm sure.
I didn't find any in the MAC catalog but did find some in the Klein. I can find the Kleins locally pretty easy I think.
Thanks again,

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
try this p/n on harborfreight.com: 1808-3VGA

They are $19 Channellock terminal crimpers. I did my FFR 3 years and 12K miles ago and the car hasn't fallen apart yet. I still use the tool around the house and for other maintenance. They work nice and I recommend them.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,066 Posts
I bought a crimper made by GB (Gardner - Bender) at either Lowes or the Depot for about $25. It looks like Wayne's and works great. It was a good investment after trying to get by with an el cheapo model.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, guys, I'll check them out, too.

·
Senior Charter Member
1,110 Posts
I've been using a Sears Craftsman version for many years. Works very well...

I know this one looks like one of those cheesy ones but if you look closely it does have the correct points for crimping (not smashing). Works VERY well and is only $14 (with a lifetime warranty to boot).

Craftsman Crimper/Stripper

If you prefer a crimper that crimps up front, check out this kit...

Craftsman Crimper

Sears also carries Klein as well.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,684 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Got one like Wayne's pic.
Looks like it'll do the job.
Thanks for all the input guys.

·
Senior Charter Member
4,275 Posts
I soldered all my joints/connections, but still used the typical spade and ring connectors. What I did, was to not crimp them, but just solder the connector on. This made a good solid reliable connection that can easily be removed (by re-heating the joint) and has no crimp marks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts