Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I downloaded Decible Meter Pro for my Iphone (.99c but there are plenty of free versions too). I went for a drive.

I have a stroked 347 with shorty headers into Jpipes and the FFR SS side pipes. I have just over 300 miles on the car.

Normal acceleration (around town) up to 40 mph and the car in third gear around 2K rpm gets me averaging 80db with a peak of 92 during the actual acceleration.

Hard acceleration (not spiinning the wheels, but just about flooring it) from 0-50 or so on a bigger road away from people gotme up to 106 db during the acceleration.

The most interesting thing IMHO is that the average DB at 2K rpm or so was only about 80. I do plan to wear earplugs (and I do) but I find that unless I am driving it hard, I can carry on a conversation with my passenger (usually my 12 year old). I wonder if the shorty headers and j pipes are contributing to the somewhat quieter ride than I was expecting from what I had read before.

I also wonder if the FFR mufflers will blow out over time and get louder. My understanding is they have a fairly limited life.

Just curious if anyone has any comments. I don't really have a point here, just something to talk about a bit.:smoke:

·
1st RFM/FFR Legacy Winner
28,622 Posts
I were EP's all the time. I like to hear the birds singing when I stop for a view. Mine have 16K miles and they do seem louder than they used to. The wind and tire noise is bad at 70.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Mirose,

Did you have something stuck inside you pipes to keep them that quiet:001_tongue:

I had a friend of mine measure mine at 23" away from pipe outlet was 92 db and at 2500 rpm was 108 db.

Perry

·
Registered
11,831 Posts
very interesting, but i'm surprised it's not louder.

where did you hold the iPhone? in the car, or to your left ear?

i wonder how wind will affect db reading with an iPhone speaker.

as far as wind, i have found my car to be really quiet at 70mph. 80mph, everything magically changes, though.

what tires do you have? i heard soft tires like Nitto NT's make a world of a difference.

and don't forget, our ears are taking a wee of a pounding due to the vibration of the car.

i always wear earplugs.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Do you believe your IPHONE, and that cheap chinese microphone? Do you believe the app?

You need to calibrate against a referance SPL meter!

·
Super Moderator
29,393 Posts
from what i understand, the pipes will get louder over time. One of the biggest threats to your hearing actually comes from wind noise.
YES, THAT'S TRUE! DON'T ASK ME HOW I KNOw!

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Do you believe your IPHONE, and that cheap chinese microphone?
The Iphone is not made in China - It is made by TSMC in Taiwan, these guys are everything but cheap.

The level indicator is precise to 0.01 degree.
The camera has a better resolution than my Sony H50 ($450 new 3 years ago)

I do believe the dB meter app is pretty close to a $100 device.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mirose,

Did you have something stuck inside you pipes to keep them that quiet:001_tongue:

I had a friend of mine measure mine at 23" away from pipe outlet was 92 db and at 2500 rpm was 108 db.

Perry
I measured inside the car, by my face and I held it outside while driving too at arms length for goofs...no difference for the most part.

I think these cars are louder at the side (a person walking by the car) because the pipes are facing the side.

very interesting, but i'm surprised it's not louder.

where did you hold the iPhone? in the car, or to your left ear?

i wonder how wind will affect db reading with an iPhone speaker.

as far as wind, i have found my car to be really quiet at 70mph. 80mph, everything magically changes, though.

what tires do you have? i heard soft tires like Nitto NT's make a world of a difference.

and don't forget, our ears are taking a wee of a pounding due to the vibration of the car.

i always wear earplugs.
I have Kumho Tires. No idea if those are "soft" or not.

I held the phone outside the car to see if the blast of wind would affect the DB and it didn't....

Well, this was not scientific, but still was interesting.

I'll say that the fact that I can carry on a conversation means it can't be much more than 80-85 db...

Finally, no one commented on the fact that I don't have straight headers/pipes. I have jpipes/shorties. I wonder if all that curving quiets things down a bit.

-M

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,656 Posts
Ignition timing, camshaft specification, cylinder heads (valve sizing) can all have an effect on the type and how harsh of a sound the engine makes. A mild to stock cam with stock to very mild heads can sound very different as compared to the same engine with a more radical cam and head package.

Olli

·
FFCobra Captain
11,721 Posts
I've read here from guys that switched from j-pipes to 4-into-4's that they are a lot louder. Don't remember seeing any DB readings though.

It makes sense that they would be because there are a lot less bends for the sound waves to bounce off of.

·
6,296 Posts
Ignition timing, camshaft specification, cylinder heads (valve sizing) can all have an effect on the type and how harsh of a sound the engine makes. A mild to stock cam with stock to very mild heads can sound very different as compared to the same engine with a more radical cam and head package.

Olli
Exactly right Olli. That's why listening to a muffler on somebody else's car and then buying and installing the same one on yours can be such a disappointment.

Frank

·
Registered
679 Posts

·
Registered
11,831 Posts

very surprised the iPhone reading didn't change with the wind.

even with my earplugs, if i put a bandana (or headband) over my ears it's MUCH quieter. so much quieter, i keep one in the car for a passenger, along with extra earplugs. so much quieter, i wear a headband or bandana as long as it's not too hot to do so.

my car is disturbingly quiet at cruise (75mph @1800rpm) and disturbingly loud with higher RPM's and hard driving.

protect your ears in any case... the $150 i spent on custom musician's earplugs were worth every penny. they have filters that let thru all frequencies. i also wear them to concerts and when doing woodworking.

can you please measure the noise level for us on the highway at about 70mph with the car in neutral?

cheers,

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hope I can add on some ideas in the thread... :)

It is always difficult to measure the sound levels correct but I think all agree that two readings are interesting, in and outside the car.

A good way to measure the car's noise level is that someone measures the level when the car passing through the meter. I think the method we have to use in Sweden when we do the registering can be used.

First you drive in 2nd gear at 30 mph and when you pass through the meter you gives the full throttle, the distance to the meter should be 23 feet. Do the measurement in both directions, and then, you do the same thing in 3rd gear at the same speed. The four values you get gives a pretty accurate picture of how much it sounds when you are out driving and push it a little, which many of us do! :)

Measuring the correct sound in the car is difficult, it also bee included so much wind noise, so what I see as interesting, is the sound included everything. Take your meter on a tour and see what it showed on average and peak and you probably have a good picture of the level.

Have fun and test the method and lets see what you have in dB!

·
Hand Jabba the Hut
2,129 Posts
New iPhone 5 has an A6 chip, and does have noise canceling.

But no matter what iPhone you use, unless you are using a calibrated SPL mic, the results are not going to be 100% accurate. The iPhones all have a "weight" applied to them, to compensate for their inherent shortcomings. (Biggest is the pinhole sized microphone)

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Charter Member
601 Posts
This will be interesting. I just loaded a decible meter on my HTC android phone. Its reading about 42 dB in my cubicle. I will take this for a spin and see what i get in the roadster.

I have 4 into 4's and recently started wearing earplugs on longer rides. Recently i went for a 2 hour ride (1 hour each way with a hour break in-between) and on the way back i was thinking how the car seemed quieter and the ride was more enjoyable. Then when i got home my dog was barking and i noticed it seemed quieter. Then it hit me, i was getting deaf from that one ride!!! The next day my left eardrum hurt like i jammed something in my ear. Pretty sure i injured it.

So, dont take it lightly. I thought the "too much noise" complaints were BS until it happened to me.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.