Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
StreetRodPainter? Anyone?

I recently did some body work to my truck (1988 Jeep Cherokee) and I figured I would just have the whole thing repainted. It doesn't need to be a show-car job, just something that will look nice and last a while.

A friend of mine has a brother who paints cars at Maaco (I know, I know) and does side jobs for friends, family, etc. I've seen his work and it looks good, but I'm wondering what I need to do before I give him the truck. All the chrome, emblems, etc. are removed (I mean everything) and the body is clean and not primered.

Should I just lightly sand the whole thing? Does it need primer if there is no exposed metal?

Please advise. I want to be somewhat informed before I agree to any work.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
If it's being repainted the same color and you don't mind the parkinglot door dings, and minor blems, that will sho thru and become amplified in a new paint job, MAACO will be okay for the Jeep. Your kin may even be of assistence in getting rid of those with spot'n'glaze and alittle primer. I would make sure that MAACO still seals the Jeep after it's wet sanded and you should never have any problems for years. Clear coating over will help give it the factory look also, but they charge too much in my opinion for the clearcoat.

grumpy

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,854 Posts
Took a friends 82 Camaro to Maaco for a cheapie.. All he did was drive it up and said paint it red.. thats what they did. everything was red.. glass, tires, chrome, tail pipe, license plates, everything and everything. When he picked it up and almost fell over he asked what happened and they said paint is $300 tape, prep, all the real stuf is extra.. He wished they told him that up front...

Trade school try outs.. on the good side the paint out lasted the engine so what the heck do you want for $300...

:eek:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just got off the phone with the guy... kind of an interview process to see if I was going to use him after all. He works at Maaco, but this will be a side job for him. He's been painting for 20 years now, and just recently took this job because they'll let him use their gear on his time off.

If I do the sanding and filling, he'll shoot sealer, color, and clearcoat for me for under $300. Having seen his work, I'd say it's worth it.

Wnstwolf: I told him about the extra $$$ for tape and "extras"... he got a good laugh out of that one.

·
Administrator,
879 Posts
Here’s my two cents worth (way over priced). MAACO usually has pretty good equipment (paint booth, water traps, etc.) when compared to smaller body shops (I know that some smaller shops have good equipment too, but many don’t). What typically makes paint jobs from MAACO look bad is poor bodywork and poor taping. Most people don’t realize that any imperfections in primer will be magnified 10 tens when painted. Also, you often cannot see imperfections, you have to feel them with your hands. My advice is to have the painter go over the car and point out any imperfections in the bodywork to you. If he says it will show in the final paint, believe him (the darker the color, the more it will show). I learned the hard way too many times when I first started doing bodywork. As far as sanding the whole car, this shouldn’t be necessary. The painter should scuff the car and wipe it down with a de-glosser / cleaner before painting. A sealer is always a good idea. Good luck.

Galt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts