Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning Everyone,
I'm in the process of purchasing an MKIII Factory Five coupe built in 2009. I want to upgrade the brakes and suspension, I believe the current setup is standard stock fox body parts. I would like stronger components, coil overs and larger brakes (currently small disc front and drum rear). Larger brakes may require larger wheels, 4 lug 15" setup is on the car now. Any recommendations on parts? What companies are the "go to" for parts?

Also what companies have exterior parts (specifically chrome roll bar and exhaust heat shields). Google searching hasn't turned up much but the Factory Five site, which everything is not in stock...

I would like to take the step to do it all at once, correctly. The car will mostly be used as a street cruiser with an rare auto cross day here and there possible. It's a 302 with a T5 transmission.

Sorry if this has been asked before, new to the form and Cobra world.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
Good Morning Everyone,
I'm in the process of purchasing an MKIII Factory Five coupe built in 2009. I want to upgrade the brakes and suspension, I believe the current setup is standard stock fox body parts. I would like stronger components, coil overs and larger brakes (currently small disc front and drum rear). Larger brakes may require larger wheels, 4 lug 15" setup is on the car now. Any recommendations on parts? What companies are the "go to" for parts?

Also what companies have exterior parts (specifically chrome roll bar and exhaust heat shields). Google searching hasn't turned up much but the Factory Five site, which everything is not in stock...

I would like to take the step to do it all at once, correctly. The car will mostly be used as a street cruiser with an rare auto cross day here and there possible. It's a 302 with a T5 transmission.

View attachment 362689
Looks awesome!

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,353 Posts
LOTS of info here, just start doing searches. There are so many different subjects to cover all at once.

Easy overview:
Increase brakes to 4-wheel discs, go larger Ford Cobra Mustang discs at all corners, plus MC
Increase rim diameter to fit brakes & 5-lug
Rear suspension - Convert to 3-Link or other improved system
Coil overs are a definite! And so much info on shocks and springs on forums
Leave engine & trans alone.
What gears? 3.55's are a very good choice.

(PS - we here can spend TONS of your money very quickly!)

·
Premium Member
18,077 Posts
Not to be nit-picky, but that's a roadster, not a coup. It makes a difference when you order some parts.

·
Charter Member
3,483 Posts
If that cobra has the mustang booster I would hold off on spending money on bigger brakes. Again if it has the booster setup drive the car and decide for yourself whether the brakes are sufficient. What do I know I've only been driving my MKII Mustang brake package for 16 years.

·
Junior Charter Member
840 Posts
How do you know it needs brakes and suspension before you own it?

My car has stock foxbody brakes and it stops great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
415 Posts
First, welcome to the Cobra owners club. Like others have stated, drive the car for a month or so and start on our list. With any used car like this, the absolute first thing is to check the date stamp on the tires. If they are 7 years old, replace them first.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Good Morning Everyone,

View attachment 362689
That cobra is at GR autosales. You in Michigan?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If that cobra has the mustang booster I would hold off on spending money on bigger brakes. Again if it has the booster setup drive the car and decide for yourself whether the brakes are sufficient. What do I know I've only been driving my MKII Mustang brake package for 16 years.
No booster, manual brakes. I am used to performance cars, and do not care for drum brakes. The drums will be replaced, if I am doing that I may as well address any suspension upgrades at the same time, I don't care for doing the same job multiple times.

Wow, is this that car that you are planning to acquire?
Acquired, just waiting for delivery.

First, welcome to the Cobra owners club. Like others have stated, drive the car for a month or so and start on our list. With any used car like this, the absolute first thing is to check the date stamp on the tires. If they are 7 years old, replace them first.
Thanks! I plan to drive it well before ordering anything. I'm just starting my lists and comparing what parts are out there and available. The tires are 4 years old, and have very little wear, but that's pushing the life limit for me. Actually that's what started my spiral, 15's do not have many options readily in stock. There are more available wheels/tries in 17" but most require a 4 to 5 lug conversion. 17's would allow for 13" discs. Which leads to, if I'm changing wheels, brakes, spindles, axles I may as well tackle suspension. It's a slippery slope.

That cobra is at GR autosales. You in Michigan?
Yessir! North Eastern Michigan, Lake Huron coast.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
LOTS of info here, just start doing searches. There are so many different subjects to cover all at once.

Easy overview:
Increase brakes to 4-wheel discs, go larger Ford Cobra Mustang discs at all corners, plus MC
Increase rim diameter to fit brakes & 5-lug
Rear suspension - Convert to 3-Link or other improved system
Coil overs are a definite! And so much info on shocks and springs on forums
Leave engine & trans alone.
What gears? 3.55's are a very good choice.

(PS - we here can spend TONS of your money very quickly!)
Thanks! It's geared in 3.73.

I'm new to this forum, not car forums. It seems all car forums can spend others money extremely fast!!!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Beautiful looking car! If you are starting from scratch, you might want to start with 18" or even larger rims/tires. When I went to replace my tires (15") had a VERY hard time finding anything, and slim choices even in 16/17. Same for disc brake assemblies, unless I went with 18" not much available, so wound up sticking with drum in back, no power brakes/no power steering either. I did get a good work out everytime, so at least burned calories. As for top quality coil overs and shocks, made a huge difference in the car, and you absolutely want to get car corner balanced, well worth it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I found what I wanted for the cosmetic stuff. I ended up ordering from Finishline Accessories. However, it has been 2 weeks since I ordered and haven't heard anything back from them.

Anyone work with them before?

·
Premium Member
1,237 Posts
Hi Buschman,

Welcome to the Finishline lottery. Some guys get their stuff in a week; others get their stuff many months after they found another supplier. There have been LOTS of threads on both forums lambasting Taylor's lack of customer support. The latest one is Finish Line Accessories, what's up ???.

Almost everyone gets their stuff eventually. Hopefully, you'll get yours before you've lost all patience.

John

1 - 18 of 18 Posts