Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hired a kid a couple of months ago and we have been teaching and training him to work on cars. He previously only worked construction. All the guys here have been with me for many years.
Today we inducted him into the family.
My shop is located in a complex with a bunch of speciallty car shops. One works on Jags, one on Vettes, and one that does Zagato bodied italian cars.
I had everyone in the complex in on it.
I sent our newbe to look for a 3/8 wobble pin this morning to fix a fuel pump. He just returned after about an hour looking through everyone's bolt bins. The look on his face was priceless. I had the last guy he was sent to let him in on it.

Dwayne- Welcome to the family.

·
Senior Charter Member
238 Posts
Thats pretty good Gordon... made me laugh, ah the good ole days... I remember when I used to turn wrenches for a living...on the slow days we would call the local high school "gear head" at the pep boys or R&S Strauss & place our order...of course 2 hours later we'd get the call that they didnt have a cap & rotor set for a 6.2L gm diesel....... hahahahaa Pat V

·
2,372 Posts
I have a 3/8 wobble pin,but it's for a counter rotating marine engine! :rolleyes:

·
2,203 Posts
If we did that in CA the guy would be out on Workers' Comp for emotional distress for six months. Then he would sue us for maintaining a hostile work environment and retire. Oh the good 'ole days when work was fun! Great story Gordon.

·
Cobra Colorist
5,632 Posts
OH YEAH! How about send him out for some "relative bearing" grease. Thats always a good one...one of them NAVY jokes.

·
Premium Member
10,831 Posts
We do this every year with the "summer help" kids.

Usually send them after a 2 X 4 stretcher, elbow grease, or a skyhook.

·
Snake Charmer
3,464 Posts
A friend of my dads has retired from his mechanical design / engineering career. When he was training in England he was sent out to get a lft handed hammer. He told us he guessed that he was being sent on an untamed ornithopod pursuit.

His uncle was an engraver. He had a large collection of hammers that he used for the various asapects of his craft. Stewart went to his uncle and told him what he was looking for. His uncle took one of his lighter weighted hammers that he didn't use often and gave it to him along with an invoice they did up for it. It listed it as a "specially weighted hammer for left handed use". The amount on the invoice was for 25pounds - which in the late 50's was a LOT of money

The look on his bosses face when he came back WITH a left handed hammer WITH the invoice was priceless. That was the last time they tried to put anything over on him.

Dwayne - I've spun a recipicating muffler bearing on my 408 - do you have any replacements

·
Shade Tree Mechanic
13,415 Posts
When I was in the Air Force we used to send the FNG's out to base supply for a gallon of prop wash!!!

·
Charter Member
1,386 Posts
Back in my aviation mechanic days, we'd send someone out to get a bucket of prop wash.

This was general aviation. I would have thought the airforce would have used Jet Blast or something...

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,618 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This all came about as a few of us were drinking beer last night. One of the guys from another shop was telling use about what they did when he was a flight mechanic in the service. One day they got a newbe in and she was sent to get a yard of flight line.
She actually got the better of them because she returned with a dump truck with a yard of asfault and dumped it in the middle of the flight line.
The Captain has boys shuvling for hours to remove it.

·
1,589 Posts
When I was in Boy Scouts, we would send the new kid that whined about smoke from the fire getting in their eyes, to get a "smoke shifter" All the other Scout Masters were in on it and would say "we just send that to Troop XYZ, go see if they still have it......"

-Stu

·
Premium Member
17,841 Posts
I'm in medicine, so sending someone to central supply for a set of steril fallopian tubes was usually worthwhile. My favorite was to give them a urine cup and send them to the lab for 10cc of acetone.

My son works on the flight line. One day he pulled out a roll of safety wire and wrote last weeks date on it. Then he gave it to the new guy and told him it was expired, and to please go to supply and get a fresh roll. Of course, the tool crib was a long walk down the line.

·
Super 7 Addict
717 Posts
I was told to go find the portable drain at a restaruant that I worked at.

Ended up bringing back a mop.

·
2,203 Posts
Can anyone tell me where to get a metric crescent wrench? My boss wants me to find one! :D

1 - 20 of 51 Posts