Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have run into this observation two times in my Brief FFR ownership and wanted to know your thoughts..

As a group we as “replica” owners are shunned by the hot rod world. Why I have no idea since many if not all of the pre 1950 cars at the local cruise night are also “replicas” but just the same Cobra’s are seen as unworthy. To each his own we worked hard and deserve a place in the lot..

Ok here is the part that throws me. Once you are allowed to “get in” many of the guys are real nice and ask many questions about the car. They are told it is a Factory Five and then the comments start flying. Why are we seen as the cheapo’s of the world? What really gets my goat is a comment I have heard twice now asking about how the cobra body was grafted onto the mustang frame. This is really being asked. Some believe we somehow, through the use of magical origami, transform a 90’s stang into a Cobra. This from car guys none the less. Is it the marketing, the fact that people are that stupid, the fact that they can not believe that for the price we can actually get a great car from just a few donor parts????

Ok off the soapbox its 4 degrees and we now have salt on the roads..

Happy Holidays!

·
Senior Charter Member
1,086 Posts
FFR created their market by advertising the almost unbelievable- a dream car for under $10,000. Their advertising created the "rebodied mustang" perception that persists today. Now, combine that perception with people's natural tendency to attack the sales leader in any market (look at all the jabs against General Motors, WalMart, etc.) and this is what you get.

Jealousy is also human nature, and people will naturally try to justify to themselves "how can someone thats seems so average have something so much cooler than what I have?" Their justification is to knock it down in their own mind (and sometimes out loud) to make themselves feel better. The 'rebodied mustang' thought seems to be real popular for making people feel better about what they don't have.

See this process played out concerning houses, cars, jobs, schools, etc. Human nature.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Joe,
Well, you live in Pottstown. That explains all you need to know! :D

Seriously, I think a lot of it is just people, even car guys, not understanding the FFR concept. They've probably just heard something from a friend who heard it from a friend. Or they have vague knowledge of the cars existance and assume it is one of the "kit" cars ala Pontiac Fiero turned Ferrari. I usually explain to them that it is very similar to a '32 Ford "kit". Most of the time they then get it. If they don't understand or just continue to be negative/argumentative, I just move on. I've got better things to do and really have little interest in debating how good or bad my car is. It's mine, I'm happy with it.

Stay warm! Roads in Royersford were real slick this morning. Hope to catch up to you soon.

Steve

·
5,559 Posts
I've gotten the... "Oh, so that's one of those re-bodied Mustungs, huh?" a few times myself! It is actually very insulting considering the work involved in having ANY truly nice car, regardles of type. But you're right, it's even worse when it is coming from "car guys", and not just an ignorant housewife or something. I also agree with your view of the other hot rods at the cruises. Most of the ones around the shows are complete replicas of '32 roadsters, highboys, etc., with out so much as one original part on them, yet somehow they are in a much higher category of respect than us! I don't get it either... :confused:

Brian

·
Senior Charter Member
633 Posts
A simlpe Formula:
Sam Walton started his expansion in retail with a simple premise; work toward a 3% profit and growth and succes will hapen, not by ripping off all the profit you can squeeze but by one item and satisfied customer at a time. Dave Smith said it in the FFR marketing tape. "No other replicar company works at the narrow profit margins that we do." There is value received. When a person who has a car that cost him $20,000 for the hardware and $25,000 markup, he has to justify the expendature to by lieing to himself about the quality of an FFR.

[ December 23, 2004, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: Tnarchtct ]

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,920 Posts
Joe, just smile and say "Uh Uh " and don't take it personal. There are an awful lot of "car guys" out there who just have a checkbook and a drivers license. I had a guy talking down my car because he "had the privledge of sitting in an original in 1966". I asked him how many he's driven and he shut up. I usually turn to someone else that is checking out the car and talk to them. There's never any shortage!

·
Allen English
4,606 Posts
Wnstwolf,

The people that think these cars are built on a mustang frame have seen the Factory Five adds in Hot Rod or Hemmings or some other magazine. They have read you can build a Cobra for $10,900 plus the use of a donor mustang. This is as far as they read..... From that point on they assume the rest and you know what that makes them when they assume things don't you? ;) It's to bad that the kit car market has been tarnished from the beginning. BTW don't let it offend you when some uninformed person walks up to you and says something stuped, just educate them.

·
Registered
858 Posts
JasonD is right on!!!

However, I have also seen some FFRs as well as other "replicas" of all kinds that look like a seven year old put them together........same if you start looking at restorations real close - you will see some quality jobs and you will see some crap.

Most of the cars seen on this site are works of art, because most all of the people hanging out here acquire an understanding of what it takes to build a beautiful, quality ride, from all those displayed here. There are numerous FFRs around that will rival any other "kit car" (replica) out there.

One of the things you have to keep in mind is that most of the people owning "Cobras" and all the other pre-50s replicas you see out there DID NOT BUILD THESE CARS THEMSELVES. They bought them "turnkey". THAT'S OK WITH ME! The far majority of these people are very cool, and I enjoy these associations..but when those with the pretentious, conceited attitudes start spouting off B.S., the conversation quickly ends as I can see no future in having a conversation with a pompous ass.

It's like anything else in the world - it's the quality of the build. After that, you have the personalities to deal with as JasonD has detailed above.

td

·
FFCobra Fanatic
4,257 Posts
I get the same assumptions. I tend to be very enthusiastic and overexplain the FFR car.

"No, it's not on a Mustang....I sold the Mustang chassis to a guy who built a racecar. I did use stuff like the rear axle, fuel filter bracket (that one always gets them) and spindles and such. My car has a new tranny and motor out of an explorer which has GT40 heads, so has a bit more horsepower than the Mustang engine. The frame is a 4" round tubed GT1 racecar style frame....take a look."

I'll then open the hood and show off the lack of any Mustang chassis at all. They always leave edumacated.

·
3,760 Posts
My wife's uncle trashes everything I do that is automotive-related. Its just the way he is. They come over for a visit every once in a while (lucky me) and he is sure that there will be a Volkswagen motor in my Roadster because...well, because its a kit car.

I don't have the motor yet. I'm going to have her invite them over (without telling her why) about the time I've got that gleaming 351W bolted up to the McLeod and Tremec, before they go into the chassis. That way he'll have a lot of visual clues about what VW the engine came from...
:cool:

AJ

·
FFCobra Craftsman
2,854 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I see I am not alone in my Defense of our hard work.. YEah I am in Potttown but the car has yet to make it on the PA roads. Still building the toy box and the cars are up in NY.

I had a 5hp briggs and stratton lawn mower motor inbetween my frame rails for a while during the build. Just to keep those nay sayers hopping. The 427w mill in the final product has them begging for rides....

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Joe, everyone has to know the difference between a sincere question and an insulting ignorant remark. I treat the later the same way I would if someone were insulting my gal. I’m just happy with the fact that my Roadster wasn’t built with an express desire to attend and participate in the area’s seasonal car shows and cruise gatherings.

Although I’m very satisfied with and look forward to participating in the Factory Five Open House each year I wasn’t a big car show attendee with the Vette club I was a charter member in for over twenty years. Car shows are just not my style. She was built to drive... for my satisfaction... and for the ride.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
Joe,
Did you just move to Pottstown? I'm about 10 minutes from you.

Steve

·
Junior Charter Member
719 Posts
RacerAl,
I have to agree, $35k ain't hay! It's only a bargain when you compare the cost against some of the other manufacturers. When you look at the prices of a turn key minus (I guess that's a kit :rolleyes: ), it's like FFR is giving them away!

Then there's the options.........

BTW, when someone asks me how that Mustang kit car is coming, I like to ask them if they have any experiance building cars, I could use a little advice in setting up the front end geometry! They usually give me a vacant sort of look!

·
3,760 Posts
Oh yeah, I posted above about my wife's uncle that trashes what I do.

The other thing...I will have the ceramic-coated headers bolted on, which will be an open invitation to him to tell me I've got them on BACKWARDS.

When he does, I'm going to play dumb and string him out for a while, see how long it takes him to figure out that that's how they look on a setback-motor racecar.

AJ

·
2,071 Posts
This topic kind of reminds of the old story about the guy who hires a hooker. When he gets undressed the hooker points and says "Who are you going to satisfy with that" the guy responds with "ME". Have fun with your FFR.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Not limited to ffr. I've got an ERA gt40 i'm assembling in my garage and i get the question is that on a mustang chassis. Now i haven't seen many rear engine mustangs. Ignorance is all it is
LLoyd

1 - 20 of 85 Posts