Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was over at one of the other forums doing some reading and relaxing. Then I came across some guy that writes in his post about people building crappy donor Cobras using junk Mustangs that end up running and driving like junk Mustangs. I just hate when people do this. I mean, this guy drives a Classic Roadster (a nice car if I do say so myself). Maybe he should go back to CR's website and read what's in his Cobra, donor list . At least my stuff all came from the same car.

Sorry about the rant. I'll sit down and be quiet now.

Greg

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
GREG,
Has winter started up there yet?
jack

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
It appears from the donor list that except for the steering column and wipers, the CR gets it's parts from "junked Mustangs".
RR

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,015 Posts
Greg,,, I saw that post too.
The comments made had nothing to do with the original question, of the post. (which was why do people sell their cobras)

the "junk mustang parts" comment, did kind of make me roll my eyes.

I didn't bother responding to that, since I don't really give a damn what someone with that type of attitude thinks anyways.

I just wonder if he'll be at run & gun to show how "superior" his car is against those cars built with junk parts?
I sure don't remember seeing the car at the Mid America challenge????
There were plenty of cobras there (assembled with mustang parts), for him to pick on. :rolleyes:

·
Senior Charter Member
1,244 Posts
Greg,

I hate to admit it... But I've drawn fire on Classic's before.

Let me point out a few Classic features...

1. 96" wheel base (doors are shaped funny and the 6"'s makes "it" look funny.
2. Chevette steering col.
3. Mustang II front end.
4. Rectangle 2" x 4" frame.
5. Moulded dash with vents.
6. Has (or uses) shoulder/lap belts.
7. Schwin bike door openers mounted in the floor.
8. Body is about 3/8" thick

Do I have to keep going? Or should I add Classic said 13.50 second quarter with stock 302. A friend of mine jumped head over heels on a Classic about 3 years ago. He's into it (unfinished) at about $50,000.00 and He Is Sick of it. (Yes, it's for Sale.) I've looked at it several times during the build and I thought the engineering and quality was poor. After I took him for a ride in my car (started 1 year after his and finished 2 ago) he said... "That's The Cobra I Should Have Built".

Single donor "Junk" Mustang FFR. Hell Yea, any day. :D

Mike
FFR 2335
350 HP Used Mustang 302, TFS heads, E-303, #24 inj, Exp. Int, 65mm TB, 73mm C&L, 1.6 RR, 3.27 rear, Team III's, Viper Blue w/white stripes! 3.5 months to build 8,320 miles. 2nd Place SCCA Charlotte 2001

·
10,171 Posts
well, i went and found the link and he did not mention ffr.. but you can tell he was trying real hard... i will cut him some slack this time.. BUT HE BETTER WATCH IT...

·
6,559 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,237 Posts
Fellas, before we get the pitchforks and lanterns out, re-read Jack21's post. He wasn't specifically bashing FFR's, he was just trying to answer the original guy's question. I know Jack21 personally, and I know this wasn't a dig at FFR's.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
2,015 Posts
I don't know why I even go over there anymore, since it's always the same old stuff. I read about one out of every twenty posts. I looked again this morning, and threw in my two cents,,,,,and now I'm done. :rolleyes:

Here was my response:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh ya i just want to add one more thing...don't build a car that has the words" donor"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comments like the one quoted above, are precisely the reason why I have gone from visiting this site almost daily,,,,,to only coming here about once every other week.

Why there needs to be this "mine is bigger than yours attitude", I don't know. I do know that it has gotten old, so I hardly ever post here at all anymore.

It's too bad, since I have over twenty years experience as an auto tech, you'd think I could spend my spare time helping out others with technical advice. ....Or I could help those considering track events, since I've been roadracing -instructing for many years, too.

Instead, I am "turned off" by those who feel the need to flaunt their "wallets".

Hey, if you can afford an ERA, Kirkham, CSX4000,,,that's great,,,,
good for you. It doesn't give you a license to treat the guy with a less expensive car like a second class citizen.

I have a friend in Kansas City with an ERA.
It is an absolutely beautiful car. I have looked at the car closely and have alot of respect for ERA and their product is top notch.
My friend is also a very nice guy, who loves this hobby and appreciates craftsmanship & a job well done, whether it be a nice cobra or a nicely restored studabaker.

My friend's ERA has a jag rear in it, (I believe) a subaru steering rack, a triumph (or other british car) steering column, and I think the wheels are from Trigo.
Obviously these pieces (whether bought new- or refurbished) come from sources other than ERA.

Why???????? because they work just fine and it would be silly for ERA to spend resources making their own diffs, in house, when the jag unit is available.
These cars are produced in low volumes, so if there is an existing part that can do a job properly and help contain costs,,,,,,it only makes sense to use it.

Now, the cobra I built three years ago (and recently sold), and DROVE to almost all of the Kansas City cobra club meetings(about 80 miles each way),,,,,,was built using a "donor" mustang.

I used the gas tank, rear axle, front spindles, brake calipers, parking brake, engine ,trans, fanshroud, and pedal assembly from a 1990 mustang GT to build that car.

I would take it on 200 plus mile little road trips without hesitation,
it averaged 20 mpg, and ran high 12 sec 1/4 mile times with BFG radial T/A/s on it,,,,I also won a regional autocross championship with the car.

I did clean, rebuild and detail all of my "donor" parts,,,,,and trust me,,,,,,my car was FAR from being junk!

In ten thousand miles , I never once had a mechanical failure with the car.
Althought I did have to pull over and offer help TWICE to other members of the club whose big block cars were overheating and giving them fits.

The simple fact is that the "donor" concept has made it possible for the "blue collar enthusiast" to live out his dream of building/driving one of these cars.

It is true, that I am not a wealthy man,,,,,therefore, having $1ook invested in a car is out of the question for me.
If you can afford to do that, again,,,,,great,,,,more power to you..........
but don't think for a second that you are any better than the hard working guy, who has saved money for years, and dedicated all of his spare time building the car he has dreamed about since he was a kid.

That guy deserves RESPECT for, being determined to live out that dream! ......and for those of you who look down on them as if you (or your toys are "better"),,,,,,,,,,,,, well,
You should be ashamed of yourselves.

·
6,546 Posts
Alain: "I'm not a wealthy man"

I see GT-40 on order. :D

Great post! (The one above.)

·
Piloti
427 Posts
Alain gets a little verbose when he doesn't have a project car to work on! ;) I love the mine is better than yours syndrome...

·
Super Moderator
29,466 Posts
Alain-

Did you really place an order with Phil Ware for one of his NZ GT40's?

If you did, I'm sooooooo envious

Keith

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
Hey Guys,
Very simply put, this was $40,000-up fake COBRA territory a few years ago, FFR is the biggest so blame them for the $23,400 average selling price on eBay of COBRA Replicas. Boy that smarts!
grumpy

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Todd, that was the first forum I began frequenting when I began researching the marque back in ’99. There are a lot of good people over there... and it took a few years... but I’ve finally found a home... this is the only Cobra related forum I’m interested in posting on now. It’s funny how some intentionally intend to be offensive... and at the same time... it’s ignorance and anti-social demeanor that becomes obvious. I’ve dealt with that type of screwed up mind BS every day in prison for over 28 years. Life is too short...

I’m flattered you thought 2286 was nice enough to use on your post... never thought I’d see the day. You have an awesome, trophy winning ride there yourself. Ride hard... ~

·
FFCobra Craftsman
1,267 Posts
Al, If he doesn't shape up, take your bottom feeder and run him over!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts