Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm debating whether I should mount the engine solid in the GTM. The vibration will probably drive me nuts within minutes, especially with a tube frame.

Has anyone tried a solid, or poly mount in a daily driven full cage car?

Comments please!​

· Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That figures. It's one of those questions you ask, but you already know the answer...

You just want to see some crazy nut post that it's the most comfy ride ever,
so that you can think, "Na, I'm never gonna do it."

I'll split the difference, and go with poly. Worst case, I'll swap in the stock
units before the body goes back on.

· Registered
45 Posts
The motor mounts on the corvette are nut just a block of rubber with 2 studs sticking out of them, but are fluid filled and act more like am shock absorber. I found this out the hard way as in the manual for the GTM it states that the rubber on the mount can be trimmed for shift rod clearance. I trimmed too much and it started toleak out the oil.
Chuck

· Registered
463 Posts
That figures. It's one of those questions you ask, but you already know the answer...

You just want to see some crazy nut post that it's the most comfy ride ever,
so that you can think, "Na, I'm never gonna do it."

I'll split the difference, and go with poly. Worst case, I'll swap in the stock
units before the body goes back on.
I have poly mounts and i'm fairly happy with them. But i don't mind a little vibration, thats what a race car should do! But honestly i have not noticed excessive vibration and neither have the passengers who have taken a quick spin around the block in it. :)

· Premium Member
13,271 Posts
I would say it's going to depend a lot on your engine specs. I've driven 2 GTM's with solid mounts. One with a stock LS7, which to be honest, I could hardly tell the difference and would not have guessed it was solid mounted. The other was a modded LS7 putting out big hp, hot cam, light-weight flywheel, etc....and there was no doubt on that one that it was solid mounted.

· Junior Charter Member
1,146 Posts
Compare the end consumer for the stock mounts, vs poly, and then the price.

54+ year old upper middle class, middle management type with overt "the customer is always right" people skills, vs. under 40 performance oriented "it's a fast car, get over it" attitude.

You get what you pay for.

· Registered
1,062 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Some good points to consider. I think I'll try some poly mounts to start with,
and adjust up/down depending on the feel.

For what it's worth, the extra little bit gained by a solid mount is probably
best suited on the track where the seconds count. I don't think I'll lose
sleep if my torque transfer/time is reduced on a sunny cruise to grab some
ice cream. :glare:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.