Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Charter Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Phil and I swapped out my convertible motor mounts for solid mounts from American Muscle.

It was as difficult as I thought it would be, from my memory of what a pain getting the motor in was. LOL
Thanks to folks on this forum for recommending the engine hoist. I was going to try and use a jack from the bottom, but I really think the hoist was great.

I made a video of the process
Mark 2 Solid motor mount install

Enjoy!!
It is -17 outside and snow on the ground, so no test drive yet. LOL (The pipes and wheels are not on yet, either)

Reactions: zee

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
In your video your side pipe has a lot of up & down movement .Do you have these supports on them ? Mine is also a Mk2 and they
Netbook Automotive lighting Automotive tail & brake light Automotive exterior Bumper
Automotive lighting Hood Netbook Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Charter Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Continued.....And they have no movement at all
Yeah, I had those, and the motor moved so much that the hangers had metal fatigue and the passenger side hanger broke off. I had to weld it back on many years ago. This time I found that the drivers side had cracks around the hanger both top and bottom. I re-welded that as well. I mentioned this briefly at 12:30 time in the video.

I suspect the stock motor mounts I bought at Oreilly auto parts aren't up to the job for my 351W.
My only concern is that I'll have too much engine vibration through the frame now. If so, I'll maybe swap out to poly mounts. We'll see.

Thanks!
Mike

Reactions: Real time recon

·
Too Cheap to paint!
6,512 Posts
I have the Poly Mounts since building the car. I like them, seems to be a good compromise

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have solid mounts on my MkII and don’t notice significant vibration from my 347. Was initially concerned during build but they seem to be working well so far with relatively low miles.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I had Solid mounts on my FFR, I replaced them for polys because I broke the mounting bolts on the engine side. Solids were meant more for the racing crowd where the car only sees the track. when you put bumps and potholes into the mix it will put more strain on things since there is nowhere or nothing to help absorb the strains from driving. I won't tell anyone Not to use them but regularly check them for broken bolts and cracks. Loctite did not help because the head of the bolt is what broke off in my case and it just made it harder to extract the threaded part.

·
Charter Member
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the replies guys. I will keep an eye on them.
I'm anxiously awaiting Spring so I can get it out... Sadly it will be a while since I live in Minnesota... :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts