Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me the difference , "make a comparison" between the FFR, and the top Whitby offers, there seems to be a big price difference,
wondering why

·
Senior Charter Member
198 Posts
Whitby Top is way way better.
Better material, bigger rear window, removable zippered side curtains.
If you are going to by one this should be the one.
Todd

·
Unknown
399 Posts
I have the Factory Five top. The side windows are plexiglass not soft plastic. The rear window is pastic. The top fits GREAT when the holes are drilled and it's secured the right way. The car actually looks better with the top on.

I wouldn't say that the Whitby is better, it's just different, and does have a larger rear window. Factory Five makes great quality products.

·
10,171 Posts
I have the Whitby top and it is first class.. its made from the same cloth that the BMW's and high end imports cars are. The fit is perfect and tight. Club photo is down right now but I will get you some pics of it..

·
3,875 Posts
I have the Whitby and it's much better.
Don

·
FFCobra Master Craftsman
8,694 Posts
I have the FFR top. I hear that the Whitby's top is better but the FFR top looks pretty good too. No complaints here but the installation is a good bit of work and should be done before the bodywork is finished.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
903 Posts
Whitbys is the only way to go .. Just finished putting one on my car and it looks super. Anyone with a little patience can do it. there top is first class all the way

·
Cobra Padawan
272 Posts
Jake,

Sorry to bag on FFR, but their top is lackluster at best. Installation is a PAIN and not having the extra hoops that Whitby gives you makes a real difference. Right out of the box, my first reaction was "I paid $1375 for THIS?!?". I think either way you're getting gouged, but it's worth the extra 300 bucks for the Whitby. Fitting the side windows from FFR to meet up correctly with the windshield and the rear of the opening on the top requires the same team of guys who put together the pillars for the Parthenon. Those side windows weigh about 35 lbs each, not exactly the easiest things to maneuver into exact fit, and not something to be very comfortable with being posted into your hollow fiberglass door. Speaking of teams, rent the Budweiser horses to stretch the FFR top while you measure out your holes for the snap-fit spikes and the cutoff line for the excess material in the front. For details, see my post on my install, titled "Adventures in soft top installation".

So you know, it took FFR about three weeks to get me the side windows after I received the top. They get it from a sub-contractor and so it takes a while longer.

Bottom line, WOEFULLY UNDERWHELMED.

·
Junior Charter Member
2,688 Posts
How long does it take to install the Whitbys vs the Factory Five top? I sure like the look of Rick Youngs soft top but the couple year waiting list doesn't work for me. I wish FFR offered something like that.
Thomas

·
Charter Member
186 Posts
I purchased the FFR soft top and sent it back. I didn't think it was worth the money. I've never seen the Whitby top in person but think either top is poorly designed and neither look good on the Cobra. As a result, I'm building my own soft top.

Bill

·
10,171 Posts
I don't think anybody is getting "gouged" on the Whitby softtop. It is a superior peice that took a lot of trial and error to get right. I think I am right about this , but the front bow that goes over the windshield is quite expensive because of the compound curves in it and nobody but a person in England makes it.
There is a ton of jigs and fixtures that is associated with the making of this top to get the curves and bends just right...
Just like the saying goes.. "you get what you pay for"

·
Charter Member
186 Posts
I didn't say anyone is getting "gouged", I just don't like the design of either top. That is why I'm going through the trouble of designing and building my own. And, probably at greater cost. If the FFR top was 2K and looked great, I would have used it.

Bill

·
Charter Member
1,646 Posts
I have seen the Whitby top and have to say it is the better of the two, FFR's to is not nearly as nice as Whitby's. The material, and fit are unmatched by FFR's top. I plan to go with the Whitby top, looking forward to the trip to their shop to have it installed.
Lile

·
Registered
576 Posts
...don't forget the customer service. Jeff at Whitby's may be one of the most helpful people I've dealt with on this forum to date... his responsivness and willingness to help has sold me on Whitby Motorcars for years to come.

Oh, and the top rocks!

FFReak

·
Unknown
399 Posts
Let's stick to the FACTS. The Factory Five side windows do not weigh 35lbs each.

How do we expect to help each other if we give overwhelmingly false information like that.

Each window weighs 3-4lbs at most.

Also, a person's inability to secure the top the way Factory Five intended does not mean its an inferior product. It just mean some folks need to brush up on their measuring skills.

I for one prefer the rain repelling material Factory Five uses as opposed to some "BMW" cloth type product. But we are all entitled to our opinion, as long as we stick to the FACTS.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
I would suggest that you look at both in person.

Mine, a previously installed FFR top, is for the rain only. People don't stand around looking at it
Someday I am going to re-size the plexi-glass windows for a better fit on my MK-II.

The Whitby's top looks very, very good in person and it fits the car very well. IMHO there is a $300 difference between the two. You just have to decide if the difference is worth it to you.

·
10,171 Posts
RACER X... do you know what the heck you are talking about. If not, I would suggest you keep YOUR FACTS to yourself. I have had the Whitby top on my car for 3 years now and the BMW TYPE cloth that I talked about DOES NOT leak.
Please do not call me a lier.
My statements about the Whitby top are NOT opinion. They are infact FACTS.
For someone with 71 post I think you need listen a little and learn a lot.

Now, back to the facts...This is the top on my car.

[ January 25, 2007, 10:34 PM: Message edited by: RACERAL ]

·
Charter Member
186 Posts
I think it looks terrible. But, that is just my opinion.

Bill

·
Charter Member
186 Posts
Al,

Don't take it personally, it's just my opinion. I remember seeing Cobra's on the street in the sixty's and never liked the tops then. New folks?? I'll post pictures of the top I build and if I don't like my own top I'll let you know.
maybe I'm too particular!

Bill

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.