Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You might think that air conditioning is largely irrelevant in an open car and it is--until you decide to get rained upon and have to dig the Whitby top out of the boot to the great amusement of dry motorists whizzing by in reliable machines designed in the current century.
The top serves the purpose of containing the steam that is created when the elements decide to disregard the top and make their way in anyway.
Enter the air conditioner. For reasons I can't explain, the A/C works well as a dehumidifier and actually defogs the inside of the windows. This defogging allows me to see things like brake lights, traffic lights, pavement.
On my way home from Open House, with 400 miles to go, the A/C decided to stop giving me cold, dry air. Just imagine a very fast and loud turkish bath...
Fast forward to the phone call from the Mennonite motor car garage. Turns out that the compressor probably got low on lubricant, disintegrated into molecules, clogged the condenser, and burned up all the contents of the current paycheck.
Oh, and the throwout bearing needed replaced.
I should have the car back by next week.

·
Super Moderator
29,433 Posts
Don-
That picture is a riot!!

·
Charter Member
7,902 Posts

·
Newbie Lurker
621 Posts
Did anyone else read:

So my roadster A/C stopped working...
And thought: So my A/C roadster stopped working?

Or just me...

Joe

·
Registered
663 Posts
The A/C will de-fog well because it is cold and condenses the water out of the air, making it drier and helping the air dry out the rest of the car.

Is the lubricant part of the A/C r134a charge similar to in a house A/C? If so, you may have a system leak to find as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts