1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
7,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
450 hp.

$9K!!!! :eek:

Gulp!

I'm sorry, I don't have the exact price. It may be in the high 8K range. I developed this weird twitch in my eye when Max at Five Star told me the news that they are coming (finally) and I missed some of the details. It's got Z304DA heads? Is that right? Forged internals, comes with a distributer, standard rotation water pump, intake but no flywheel.

If I want to throw Mass-Flo or Wayne's stacks on it that's another ~$3200.

Why was I asleep when they were talking about the donor concept? I'm staring at a 50K non donor build. How the heck did that happen?!?

I need a drink.

·
Banned
5,895 Posts
I'd rather spend the extra few dollars and have a Levy Stage 6 engine. Close to 650hp and built by Levy (i.e., not suspicious Ford "quality")......what's not to love :D

·
Gearhead
1,421 Posts
I'm partially with Sergio on this one.

BTW: Heres a FMS 460 Big Block in our area for $6500. SuperCobraJet heads.
I'd give that guy a call if I were you.

http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pts/396294489.html

550 hp :eek: !!!

EDIT: I know EXACTLY what car that was supposed to go in! It's an old 1968 Torino GT that's going under a restoration project dubbed "Rinovation", and I've seen the unibody at GRC in Mission Viejo, the shop thats building it, each time I go there to buy parts for my Mustang. These guys are legit, I personally know the owner of GRC.

·
Administrator
7,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't go Big Block or Modular B/C of my driver's foot box. If I could do that I would have gone for the 2003 Cobra Terminator that was for sale a while back.

I'm talking with Gordon Levy about options. I know he's not a fan of the block so we'll see how it goes...

·
Administrator
7,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No I haven't, although I've heard the term. I looked them up, maybe I'll give them a call, although I'm more inclined to go with a forum vendor. Thanks for the tip.

·
Pro FFR Builder and Moderator
14,784 Posts
It's not that I am not a fan. Both blocks cost the same. The Boss has 3, 4 bolt caps while the R have all 5 are 4 bolt slayed caps.
Dollar for dollar, I'd rather have the R block.

·
Banned
6,100 Posts
DSS has the boss blocks as well-they do some special machining to them after they receive them-not sure on the details. Why dont you just build a 408 if you are going to spend that much. That price will build a nice 408 shortblock and then if you are handy with engines at all you can put the heads on etc and save a bundle.

·
FFCobra Fanatic
12,975 Posts
David personally I would use a custom built,like what Gordon or others ofer over a production motor. Think the quality will be better along with haveing it build spec for your application as to what you want in performance.
Being a donor build here. Still feel it's the way to go. For the price of the donor,and including rebuilding a seasoned block. Still be less then what your looking at for the new 8 grand plus engine.

·
FFCobra Craftsman
6,103 Posts
David,

I agree with the others, there are a lot of other engines & builders out there willing to give you more for about the same $$$. I do not know your time table, but another option might be to wait, at that price, I can not envision these things selling like hot cakes. Maybe in 6 to 12 months, when they have a warehouse full of them, collecting dust and accuring inventory taxes, they will have a sale or price reduction. Going out and buy one only validates their outrageous price.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts