Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning everyone. Thinking of switching over to the sniper EFI setup on my 363 small block and wondering if anyone has tried fitting one with the classic oval air cleaner under the hood? Anyone have the mounting distance from the manifold to top of air cleaner by chance?

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
I’m actually doing this soon. The air filter is on the way and should be here this week.
if you get the one with the center inlet on the bottom (like I did) you will have to modify the base and bring the hole towards the rear. It can be done though, as I have seen it with a carb on a coupe.
Stay tuned.

HTH

John

·
Junior Charter Member
2,459 Posts
I put one on my Sniper with no modification. It fit fine.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Seagull, on the coupe there is less clearance and the cowl sits much closer to the sniper. Mine comes in on Thursday according to the tracking code.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks again everyone. Great looking engine bay John. Read your posts on the new engine and revamp, nice work.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Thanks Dust Devil!
Started on the air filter today. Ended up re locating the hole for the Sniper 5.5” from the rear edge. According to Mark it can cause radio interference, so I’m going to put rubber on the bottom and top.
Will post some pics when it’s all done.

John

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Here’s the conversion of the Cobra filter with the Sniper.

I cut the center ring about a half inch bigger from the bottom plate. Then cut out the rest of the rear section. Made a replacement plate that I siliconed and riveted in to the the base plate. Then I riveted the ring into the new baseplate insert.
Put a new center stud in by using a small carriage type bolt and a self locking nut on the inside.
It will mean that if I need to get to the distributor, filler neck and/or thermostat I’ll have to take the air filter off but it looks much better then the small Edelbrock triangle that I had.

The center bore of the Sniper is 5.5“ from the rear edge of the baseplate, this as a reference point for others that may want to do this.
Still need to cover the in and outside of the base plate with rubber to reduce RF interference and then it will be done.

John

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
John, looks great and thank you so much for taking the time to add the pictures and description. Great to see it fits.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Years ago I had a small oval AC on a roadster with clearance issues. I hammered a base out of a sheet of aluminum like a "drop" base for a 14" round AC. I eventually made an off-center drop base for a 14" round AC for a 3" tall filter. Edelbrock Pro Flo EFI 4bbl air valve.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts