Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I would like a couple of pics of sn95 spindles vs. the stock fox setup. Not sure what the difference is. Apic would help out a lot.
Also what is the benefit of using sn95s? I've heard you can't use as big of tires with them.

could use some help understanding all this, thanks,
Adam

·
Cobra Builder
1,724 Posts
Adam,
Biggest benifits are the ability to use larger brakes and more wheel choices. Wheel beering are also sealed. Here's a shot of my '98 spindles

·
5,559 Posts
I had read in the past that there is slightly better geometry, as well as many more options for brakes. For a pure street car, it really doesn't matter. If you already have a FOX set, use them. They are very easy to convert to 5 lug just by boting on a different lincoln style rotor, and the bearings are really easy to change (just a little messy because of grease). I recently changed to sn95, not because there was anything wrong with the FOX set, just that I got a deal on the others, and they have dual piston PBR calipers, which I thought were cool. My FOX was already 5 lug, and had the 73mm lincoln calipers, so they worked well.

·
Banned
5,303 Posts
i have used types both pretty extensively on my car and they both work fine. even for a race car there are many things to attend to before this swap. you may need to periodically adjust the older bearings (its easy).

james

·
Charter Member
124 Posts
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I have a related question...

I am planning to run FOX spindles and 13"/11.65" Cobra brakes, 17" rims (245ish on the front and 315ish on the back), 3 link, and pin drive length CA's.

Will I have clearance issues?
Thanks,
Brandon

·
FFCobra Fanatic
738 Posts
B & L,

Or anyone else ... is it really that easy to go to 5 lug on the front? Just get lincoln rotors and they'll bolt into a fox front susp?? What year lincoln?

·
Senior Charter Member
692 Posts
How are you going to run the fox spindles with 13" Cobra brakes? The rotors from 93 and newer Cobras will not fit on the older Fox spindles. You must have the sn95 spindles for the 13" rotors to work.

Mark VII should work about the same year as the donor spindles. 87-93 or thereabouts.

This web site has good info on brakes.

http://sn95brakes.cjb.net/

·
Senior Charter Member
574 Posts
I used the lincoln spindles and now searching for wheels and tires. FFR's site now has a listing of several styles of wheels in 17" sizes but all the "reasonable" priced wheels have a listing that excludes use on anything other than the sn95 spindles. BUT the "manual", as wll as this forum, all say that the lincoln ('91 mk VII rotors,mustang calipers) are a good alternate!

·
Cobra Builder
1,724 Posts
To convert from 4 lug fox to 5 lug Lincoln is simple (change rotors) but there is clearance problems with the dust cap/Bullett wheels. I believe there are some solutions (use the search feature) I wanted to use Cobra size 13" brakes, and the only way that will work is to use non-fox spindles '95 or newer.

·
Senior Charter Member
2,837 Posts
What donor year had SN95 spindles? What should I ask for at the salvage yard? Can I buy them new? Where?

Thanks

·
Charter Member
146 Posts
Be careful when planning SN95 spindles with 15" tires...(or a SN95 rear end without swapping axles)

The rims may/will need a deep ofset to clear the brakes

A deep offset eliminates the "dish" look that was on the original cars and limits the type of rims that are available

With 17" rims the problems are less

·
Charter Member
124 Posts
Nevermind65,

I've checked a few places and haven't gotten a clear answer, that's why I'm asking again - I am not sure it will work.

Check out the M-2300-K kit by ford racing (http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=1791). It converts 87-93 Mustangs to the 93+ cobra setup. Are the spindles offered in this kit SN95? Are 93 Cobra spindles the same as SN95?

thanks,
Brandon

·
Premium Member
10,830 Posts
5ohhh

I believe they are the same spindle minus the anti-lock system.....therefore they do not create as wide of a stance as 95 and newer. If I am wrong someone correct me please as I am trying to decide whether to stick with the fox spindles or go with another.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Baer makes a kit that converts Fox spindles and rear axle to 5 lug discs all around. It uses the same size rotors and the same calipers as the M2300K kit from Ford. The advantage of the Baer system is that it uses your Fox spindles and Fox width rear end.

Craig

·
18,090 Posts
94/95 spindles are the same track width as the 97-93 Fox. The 96+ spindles are a wider track - I'm not sure but 5/8" wider comes to mind..

·
Feng Shui Master
1,224 Posts
Randy Big-Foot,
Your answer is much quicker than me trying to type my log in.

I used the 1994 SN-95 spindles, clearenced them to mount the "Cobra" calipers.
Purchased "Brembo" brand (zinc washed/grooved but no holes) rotors.
The calipers range from 100.00 to 125.00 each (I got my first set from Disk-Brakes-R-US. Second set from shopping around, you can also find them many places (Mustang places)
I got the Brembo disks from my job.
So far everything looks like it will work.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts