Factory Five Racing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Junior Charter Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

How can you tell the difference between a 94-95 spindel with the other years (serial number, dimensions, shape…)?
Same question for the lower front arms?

Thanks, Eric

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
The '94-'95 spindle uses a curved arm for the tie rod mounting eye, the '96 and up is straight. Easiest way to tell them apart..

As for lower arms, SN-95 are all the same...

HTH...
Mark

·
Super Moderator
29,537 Posts
96+ are wider track than the 94-95

·
Premium Member
10,650 Posts
Anything earlier than '94 uses the old castilated nut and cotter pin retention method.

·
Junior Charter Member
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ron,

Thanks for posting pictures. I guess the blue lines on the 94-95 picture are showing the small differences with the 96+ (it looks like if it was grinded)?

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
FFCO...

Those images are from the SN95 brake swap web site. Those lines refer to where you have to grind on the '94-'95 spindle to fit the '01 and newer two-piston caliper (GT, not Cobra)...

The '94-'95 spindle will work with no modifications for '94-'98 GT or Cobra brakes...

Mark, when he referred to "other years" I assumed other years of SN-95, but you make a good point. The '93 and earlier spindle is designed to use standard bearings (not a sealed cartridge bearing like the '94 and up) and usually is harder to fit five lug rotors too without going to the aftermarket, though it is possible to five-lug them...

HTH...
Mark

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Originally posted by FFCO:
Hi,

How can you tell the difference between a 94-95 spindel with the other years (serial number, dimensions, shape…)?
Same question for the lower front arms?

Thanks, Eric
How much wider are the 94/95 spindles compaired to the old 87-93 spindles? how much more do the 94/95 spindles push the wheel out?

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
PhD, the '94-'95 spindles are the same track width as the Fox spindle, which is why they are so desirable...

They do not push the wheel out any further. They offer five-lug wheel options, better brake packages, and a sealed bearing that does not require maintenance or servicing. What's not to like? :D

HTH...
Mark

·
Banned
5,895 Posts
Originally posted by Mustang Man:
They offer five-lug wheel options, better brake packages, and a sealed bearing that does not require maintenance or servicing. What's not to like? :D

HTH...
Mark
The fact the locking spindle nuts cost $12 each :eek:

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
Originally posted by Mustang Man:
PhD, the '94-'95 spindles are the same track width as the Fox spindle, which is why they are so desirable...

They do not push the wheel out any further. They offer five-lug wheel options, better brake packages, and a sealed bearing that does not require maintenance or servicing. What's not to like? :D

HTH...
Mark
Thanks, I put it all together. I you use the 94/95 spindle with the 94/95 LCA (with the MK3 frame) You can achive the same track as the 87-93 Fox... Which in my case is what I want for an orginial look with wheels and stuff... You are correct/.... " Whats not to like !?"

Thanks..
PhD

·
Blue Oval Scribe
9,177 Posts
If you use the '94 and up control arm be sure to mount it in the inner hole on the frame, as that control arm is longer...

I am using the '94/'95 spindle with FFR tubular arms (same length as FOX) mounted in the outer frame holes and everything lines up and works great and I have the same track width as a Fox Mustang (for wheel fitment)...

HTH...
Mark

1 - 13 of 13 Posts