Factory Five Racing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered my MkIV today! Had a question about my donor, it's a 1995 GT. I want to keep it stock for now but have been ready about performance options (for the future). Is this a good "stock" engine to use for my build? Are there any wiring tips you can share? Is there anything I can do to prepare for future upgrades?

Thanks.

Mike D.

·
Tool Collector
6,605 Posts
Mike, I used a completly stock 94 GT donor in mine. I have a 347 on deck that will eventually be installed but I am completely happy with the motor that's in there for the time being. The 94/95 has some issues but they can be worked around. Get a Ford EVTM off of ebay for a 95 Mustang and you'll save yourself hours of misery. Any questions you may have you can PM me and I'll talk you down from the ledge. I don't regret for one second using the donor I did. You just have to decide from the very beginning not to let these so called "friends" here on the forum to talk you into a bunch of upgrades before you even realize you need them. Frank

·
No longer just a dreamer
59 Posts
Same Boat

Mike - I'm starting to tear apart my 95 GT donor too... and wondering how far I will go with mods. I'm quite comfortable with saying that there will be plenty of guys here willing to help.

If you decide to go the 94/95 GT donor route keep in touch... we'll swap war stories.

Chad

·
Registered
248 Posts
My 1994 same engine as 1995

·
Premium Member
2,706 Posts
'94 donor here, no regrets. The 5.0L itself is the same as in a foxbody car. For me the wiring was the most time consuming part, but it's doable. I think the pros overcome the cons vs. a foxbody donor.

Congrats on the MkIV purchase.

Jim.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Used a 95GT donor as well. Worked out fine. Didn't want to tackle the wiring myself so opted for a wire diet from http://www.wirediet.com/ (forum vendor). Expensive for the 95 but saved a lot of headache. Harness comes back with everything labeled and cut to the proper length. Swapped the motor out over the winter for another 302 with performance top end, but used all accessories from the original motor (most of which I purchased new anyways).

Before I replaced the motor I had installed and became familiar with an ECU tuning device called Moates Quarterhorse (http://www.moates.net/product_info.php?cPath=31&products_id=199). It's a small PC board that plugs into the ECU giving you the ability to change all the operating parameters. You either need to go this route or have a chip burned after you upgrade, since the 94/95 ECU doesn't take to changes as well as the fox ECU.

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum.

·
Junior Charter Member
1,637 Posts
To prepare for future Horsepower upgrades, I installed a fuel pump good to 450 HP, and a King Cobra Clutch just in case I up grade the engine.
Tim

·
Registered
113 Posts
I used the 95 as well. to save yourelf some agravation just plan on replacing the radiator also if you search Frank has a great way to put a thunderbird fan in and it will hook right into the harness and bolt right up to the radiator.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts